First GPU block install, advice

SteinerSE

Hi!

Hope this is the right place to ask.
Just got my Eisblock Aurora Acryl RX 7900XTX/XT Nitro with Backplate and it's the first ever GPU block for me. I'm about to apply all the small pads (big ones was easy enough) and now wonder, do I need to trim some of them down? Some doesn't quite seem to fit in the area where they are supposed to go, and some (quite a few) overlap and are placed on different levels. Any advice on completing this task?
The package comes with two backplates, one preassembled and one lose, and a note that I should use the extra one and not the assembled one. But as I look at them they look absolutely identical. What is the difference between them?

TIA
Thomas

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The two backplates differ only by one drill hole. Please use the one that is enclosed separately. It was easier for us to simply add the correct backplate and leave the pre-assembled one on than to completely replace everything. This only affected one batch with a few coolers already in stock.
You don't have to cut the thermal pads to size unless it is explicitly mentioned in the instructions.
If you are unsure, please take a picture and show it here. The small pads do not have to be positioned 100% perfectly as long as the center of the respective component is covered.

SteinerSE

The two backplates differ only by one drill hole. Please use the one that is enclosed separately. It was easier for us to simply add the correct backplate and leave the pre-assembled one on than to completely replace everything. This only affected one batch with a few coolers already in stock.
Ok, now I feel a bit dumb, but have to ask. I think I might have mixed up the backplates while handling them. Which one am I supposed to use, the one with one more hole, or the one with one less?

TIA
Thomas

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The plate with fewer holes is the right one. But in principle, this is the only difference. If you have already mounted the cooler and the one hole does not bother you, you can leave the backplate on. It was only about the one too much drilled mounting hole that is not needed. Otherwise, both backplates do not differ.

SteinerSE

The plate with fewer holes is the right one. But in principle, this is the only difference. If you have already mounted the cooler and the one hole does not bother you, you can leave the backplate on. It was only about the one too much drilled mounting hole that is not needed. Otherwise, both backplates do not differ.
Thank you kindly.
I just got my card and have disassembled the original cooler, but immediately have issues.
The supplied PCI bracket won't go on as it doesn't come with any screws (that I can see) and the original screws holding the Sapphire bracket seems to have a different thread because they won't go in the Alphacool bracket at all.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

as shown in the manual is the PCI Bracket fixated whith the screws from the Backplate.
1681216071524.png

SteinerSE

Yes, I realized my mistake after I posted (but not before almost finishing assembling. It's put together and installed in my computer now.

2023-04-11 14.32.18.jpg

Zetrol

Maybe this is on purpose by you, but I think your pump is connected to the GPU block outlet port. It will affect the performance since it's not connected as designed.

SteinerSE

Maybe this is on purpose by you, but I think your pump is connected to the GPU block outlet port. It will affect the performance since it's not connected as designed.
Hmm, it is? I connected in the way that seemed logical, otherwise the tubing would have to cross over.
Looking in the manual and the product page there's nothing indicating direction or in/out :/

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
@SteinerSE

it is directly indicated on the water block where In and OUT is. I have marked IN and OUT in a photo. I am not firm with the used reservoir so I can´t say if you have connected it correctly.
1681279231512.png

SteinerSE

@SteinerSE

it is directly indicated on the water block where In and OUT is. I have marked IN and OUT in a photo. I am not firm with the used reservoir so I can´t say if you have connected it correctly.
View attachment 4977
Oh, I've done it wrong (obviously :/), but no worries, I am draining the cleaning solution today so will switch the in and out around. it's not my first custom loop, but for some reason I seem to be doing nothing right this time.

SteinerSE

Ok, Loop adjusted :)
Just made the crossover work
And yes, FML, by accident broke the protective screen of my HighFlow Next :( (But LCD behind it is fine luckily)
And now, looking at the high res photo is the first time I ever see the direction arrows :X (wouldn't hurt mention it in the manual too)

Thank you everyone for patience and advice, and to AC for excellent support.

2023-04-12 15.35.10.jpg