3090 With Eiswolf AIO Running Really Hot

liefhiro

Hello,

I purchased an Eiswolf a few months back for my GPU and it fits and works but the temps are ridiculously hot for being water cooled. I have an Eisbaer CPU cooler for my CPU and it runs really cool but this AIO is really, really hot. With my fans at 80% speed, it is running at 82 degrees in FFXIV (which isn't that demanding of a game) and 80 degrees in Destiny 2. I made a fan curve using argus monitor and have to keep turning the fans up to really high and loud speeds to keep it under 85 degrees. I don't think it should be this hot with a 360mm AIO. Does anyone have any suggestions? My room is also getting really hot because of how how this is getting... I wanted to get this liquid cooler to run quiet and cool but it hasn't really changed all that much compared to the stock cooler that came on the GPU, if anything it is running hotter just not as loud.

Thank you

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi, have you checked that the thermal pads have sufficient contact with the components. If there is too little or no contact, the cooling performance will suffer. A picture of the marks on the pads might help to solve your problem. Pictures of the setup are also quite helpful in evaluating your situation.

liefhiro

Here are the requested pictures of the markings of the thermal pads as well as the thermal paste on the chip. I reseated it trying to make it a bit tighter so we will see if that helps. So far it has gone down about 8 degrees but that is still 74 degrees and really hot for a 360mm AIO.

Attachments

• 0805211637b.jpg1.jpg
    0805211637b.jpg1.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 0805211638_HDR.jpg
    0805211638_HDR.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0805211636a.jpg
    0805211636a.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 20

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The print doesn't look good. It looks like the cooler is sitting crooked on the graphics card. The imprints of the heat-conducting pads also don't look good in places. Either the mounting was not correct, or you have a card with the well-known Nvidia package problem. But actually only the first models had this problem. How long have you had the card?

I would reassemble the cooler and then disassemble it again to see if something went wrong during the first assembly.
Otherwise, contact the support directly: info@alphacool.com

liefhiro

I disassembled it and reassembled it. Should be perfectly straight now. Added new thermal paste too but it is still getting very hot. I got it in November and it is compatible based on the sheet.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
have you already contacted our support? The Nvidia package problem has not been ruled out yet.

liefhiro

I have not contacted them yet, thought I would come here first! But what is this package problem? This is the first I have heard of it.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The first batches of RTX 3080 and 3090 cards had different GPU heights. The differences are around 0.5mm. That doesn't sound like much, but for watercoolers that have to be very precise, it's extremely high.

A GPU that is too high ensures that the thermal pads on the graphics card memory cannot make proper contact between the cooler and the memory. If the GPU is too low, the cooler rests well on the memory, but then not well on the GPU. If the GPU is crooked, then it gets really funny.

The problem occurs extremely rarely, but there is an article about it on Igorslab, for example: https://www.igorslab.de/en/geforce-...water-and-air-coolers-so-heavy-investigative/

liefhiro

You know, I think this may be the case. I think the GPU may be too low. When I first disassembled the eiswolf, it was extremely easy for the heatsink to come off the gpu. Unless the included alphacool thermal paste doesn't harden and form a bond, it nearly just slid off the GPU. I've never experienced that and usually have to almost pry a heatsink off gpus/cpus. If this is the case, what should I do? Maybe replace the thermalpads and use thinner ones? Or more thermal paste?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
More thermalpaste doesn`t help. Write an email to our support team with a link to this thread so they can check your pictures. They will tell you the next steps. Mabye they will sent you new thermal pads. They have more experience with that than me.

Booradley87

Good evening, I am also having the same problem. My temperatures are not significantly better than my stock cooler from my 3090 Strix. Been getting around 74 degrees. I have also bought my GPU near the end of November. I was wondering if the thermal paste included is the Ocool Thermal Grease?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
This has nothing to do with the thermal paste. It has more to do with the well-known problem of the package height of the Nvidia GPU. Take the cooler off again, take a picture of the contact pressure of the thermal pads and GPU and contact support, please. Including picture.