Adding active backplate to Eiswolf 2 on 3090

Bullant

I have an Eiswolf 2 AIO on my 3090 and it is working quite well at bringing the temps down (except for the VRAM), but I have an active backplate that I have ordered and am just waiting for it to be delivered.

However, I have noticed that my GPU temps aren't as great as they were when I first installed the Eiswolf, I am sitting at 43c temp/ 59c hotspot at idle (26c ambient) and 50c temp / 68c hotspot while mining (at a reduced rate to keep my VRAM under 90c, only hitting 80 Mh/s). I actually got some thermal throttling playing MS Flight Sim the other day, with the hotspot hitting 100c.

Should I be concerned about the GPU temps? Especially as I am about to add more thermal load by watercooling the VRAM at the back of the card?

Is it possible that something is off with the GPU thermal paste and/or the thermal pads on the front of the card? Should I consider replacing all of these on the front of the card at the same time as replacing the backplate?

If I were to replace the pads on the front, could someone from alphacool tell me what size pads I need for my Inno3d iChill x4 with the eiswolf 2 reference design cooler?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions ...

JJ650

I have an Eiswolf 2 AIO on my 3090 and it is working quite well at bringing the temps down (except for the VRAM), but I have an active backplate that I have ordered and am just waiting for it to be delivered.

However, I have noticed that my GPU temps aren't as great as they were when I first installed the Eiswolf, I am sitting at 43c temp/ 59c hotspot at idle (26c ambient) and 50c temp / 68c hotspot while mining (at a reduced rate to keep my VRAM under 90c, only hitting 80 Mh/s). I actually got some thermal throttling playing MS Flight Sim the other day, with the hotspot hitting 100c.

Should I be concerned about the GPU temps? Especially as I am about to add more thermal load by watercooling the VRAM at the back of the card?

Is it possible that something is off with the GPU thermal paste and/or the thermal pads on the front of the card? Should I consider replacing all of these on the front of the card at the same time as replacing the backplate?

If I were to replace the pads on the front, could someone from alphacool tell me what size pads I need for my Inno3d iChill x4 with the eiswolf 2 reference design cooler?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions ...
I am still having issues with the reference design even after getting additional pads from Alaphacool. The temps slowly but surely creep up to 100+. It almost seems like there just isn't quite enough capacity to keep it cool under heavy loads for extended periods. I am looking at the active back plate to help in an effort to mitigate the heat issue.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I am still having issues with the reference design even after getting additional pads from Alaphacool. The temps slowly but surely creep up to 100+. It almost seems like there just isn't quite enough capacity to keep it cool under heavy loads for extended periods. I am looking at the active back plate to help in an effort to mitigate the heat issue.
The cooling capacity is there. Ultimately, only another look at the imprints of the heat conducting pads will help here. The contact pressure of the cooler may not yet be right. An active backplate will definitely improve the temperatures considerably.

JJ650

The cooling capacity is there. Ultimately, only another look at the imprints of the heat conducting pads will help here. The contact pressure of the cooler may not yet be right. An active backplate will definitely improve the temperatures considerably.
Ordered and on the way...just hope I added all of the right parts to the order to make it all work.

Thomas_S

Staff member
Do you still have your shopping cart? Then I could take a look at it in an advisory capacity ;-)

Thomas_S

Staff member
The AIO pumps are designed in such a way that the integration of a further component is still possible without any problems.

JJ650

The AIO pumps are designed in such a way that the integration of a further component is still possible without any problems.
Got it all installed and it works great. This 3090 REALLY benefits from having an active backplate. Temps under heavy load hover around 66 C now! Thanks!