Advice on watercooling my 3080 pls

pdifolco

Hi all
I've bought some months ago an Eisbaer 280 (the basic one) for my 3900X CPU, and I'm pretty glad with it, good materials, upgradeable, good perfs. Only con was that installing the waterblock on the CPU needed 3 hands :sneaky:
2 months ago I got a RTX3080 (lucky me), the rather basic Gigabyte Eagle, but it's still a 3080 ! I've changed the thermal pads and added some to the back to limit VRAM temps, which are now 10-15c cooler than before, GPU being maybe 3-4c better (max 70c).
It's still a pretty big and hot card, fans are a tad noisy at 80%+, and I'm thinking about watercooling it with an Aurora Eiswolf (which is the only option anyway, no other brand makes GPU watercooling compatible with this card).
Problem is with my case ... I'll be soon upgrading from a Purebase500 (which was quite small for my stuff) to a nicer and a bit bigger Phanteks 600S, but even this one only allow for max 280mm top, which will be used by the CPU AIO rad.
So where to install my GPU rad-to-be ?
Either a 140mm back but I think it'll be too small
I want to avoid putting a big rad on the front (to keep some cold air intake) , top is already taken ... Or can I add the GPU cooling in a loop with only a 280mm rad ?
Any other idea ?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
There is no real reason not to install a radiator in the front. The only thing that is important in the enclosure is a good airflow. The front radiator does not heat up the whole enclosure. Usually there is always a radiator in the front and the air is blown in at the front and then out at the top and back. You can also install radiators there. That's not a problem.
You're thinking too much about it. Why don't you just go for DIY cooling? We also sell all the coolers for the Eiswolf individually. Which RTX 3080 do you have exactly? The waste heat of your CPU and GPU is so high that a single 280mm radiator would be completely overwhelmed.

pdifolco

Thanks Eddy
My GPU is a Gigabyte Eagle 3080 (non OC), seems you have an Aurora Eisblock compatible with it
but not yet your new Eiswolf2...
I can indeed put 360mm rad to the front, fans on intake (I had my CPU AIO 280mm rad front on my small Purebase500) , not sure the Phanteks fans will be good enough, but I still have spare BeQuiet SW3...
I'm a bit reluctant to do a custom loop because it's a bit pricey (but not when compared to the GPU cost, point taken), but mainly because I don't know sh*t about it, no idea of what parts I need or how to assemble them ... With an Aurora block what do I need ? only rad+fans and a couple tubes to link to my Eisbaer ? Fittings, screws, liquid ?? Should I need another pump, reservoir, whatever ?? It's pretty hard to figure out...

Granville

Hi all
I've bought some months ago an Eisbaer 280 (the basic one) for my 3900X CPU, and I'm pretty glad with it, good materials, upgradeable, good perfs. Only con was that installing the waterblock on the CPU needed 3 hands :sneaky:
2 months ago I got a RTX3080 (lucky me), the rather basic Gigabyte Eagle, but it's still a 3080 ! I've changed the thermal pads and added some to the back to limit VRAM temps, which are now 10-15c cooler than before, GPU being maybe 3-4c better (max 70c).
It's still a pretty big and hot card, fans are a tad noisy at 80%+, and I'm thinking about watercooling it with an Aurora Eiswolf (which is the only option anyway, no other brand makes GPU watercooling compatible with this card).
Problem is with my case ... I'll be soon upgrading from a Purebase500 (which was quite small for my stuff) to a nicer and a bit bigger Phanteks 600S, but even this one only allow for max 280mm top, which will be used by the CPU AIO rad.
So where to install my GPU rad-to-be ?
Either a 140mm back but I think it'll be too small
I want to avoid putting a big rad on the front (to keep some cold air intake) , top is already taken ... Or can I add the GPU cooling in a loop with only a 280mm rad ?
Any other idea ?

I have the P600s, the manual says it can take upto 405mm at the top and 420 at the front. Double check, but you may be OK.

pdifolco

Ok, so I can put my current 280mm rad (CPU AIO) on top (exhaust) and add a 360mm or even 420 front (intake) for the GPU.
Now my choice is either
Install a DIY Eiswolf cooler, either standalone or in a loop - but I don't know how to do the later (and not sure of what to buy exactly for a standalone cooler).
Wait for a compatible Eiswolf2 (standalone)...
Decisions, decisions...

Granville

Ok, so I can put my current 280mm rad (CPU AIO) on top (exhaust) and add a 360mm or even 420 front (intake) for the GPU.
Now my choice is either
Install a DIY Eiswolf cooler, either standalone or in a loop - but I don't know how to do the later (and not sure of what to buy exactly for a standalone cooler).
Wait for a compatible Eiswolf2 (standalone)...
Decisions, decisions...

Im in a similar position. P600s and I intend to either use existing 280 on top and then Eiswolf 360 on the front. But i may look at going for the eisbear/eiswolf combo both in 360.

Try the configurator on corsair and EK. I think they will come up with supported configs that meet your requirements. I think the biggest total is 2 360's.

pdifolco

Im in a similar position. P600s and I intend to either use existing 280 on top and then Eiswolf 360 on the front. But i may look at going for the eisbear/eiswolf combo both in 360.

Try the configurator on corsair and EK. I think they will come up with supported configs that meet your requirements. I think the biggest total is 2 360's.

Nor EK nor Corsair have anything compatible with a Gigabyte 3080 Eagle GPU... Only Eiswolf is currently.

Granville

Nor EK nor Corsair have anything compatible with a Gigabyte 3080 Eagle GPU... Only Eiswolf is currently.
I more meant that you can use those to check radiator configuration for the P600s. Thats annoying that the options are limited. Is it not a reference PCB? just a random question, but could you try to trade it for a different model?

pdifolco

I more meant that you can use those to check radiator configuration for the P600s. Thats annoying that the options are limited. Is it not a reference PCB? just a random question, but could you try to trade it for a different model?

Ok, I know what radiator config I could have, I've checked the manual, 420mm Front 280mm Top.
But change my 3080??? How ?? Where do you live ? There's no GPU shortage on Saturn ? :p

Granville

Ok, I know what radiator config I could have, I've checked the manual, 420mm Front 280mm Top.
But change my 3080??? How ?? Where do you live ? There's no GPU shortage on Saturn ? :p
Haha, i know what you mean. There are ways and means though.... The easy way is sell at scalp price and buy at scalp price. Doesnt sit comfortably though.

pdifolco

It seems that my Gigabyte 3080 Eagle has reference PCB, and my new case has room for 360mm rad front, then I can go for an Eisbaer2, right ?

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
@pdifolco, Eiswolf 2 AIO is still in the planning phase without an exact release date. Currently you can only get the cooler individually.