AIO -> Custom loop

paulca

Got a new rig. 5800X, 3080, X570.

I put an Eiswolf V2 360 on the 3080 and a Kraken X73 on the CPU.

At the time I spec'ed and bought it I figured dual AIO was the cheapest and fastest way to get dual water cooled build.

Now I'm already, less than a month in, twitching to fiddle.

I know the NZXT will be a write off if I go custom loop. I can edit this out, but one thing I dislike about them is there insistence of putting form over function and the absolutely diabolical state of their software. I'm sure it's great if you are a 3 year old, but I hate "Fisher price" GUIs with no functionality. So I was not entirely surprised to find their pump/block, fittings, radiators used in their AIOs all have custom non-servicable fittings.

So that's why I'm here on the AC forums. The Eiswolf is convertable into a custom loop. If I get a block for the CPU and either find a way to thread the NZXT radiator (although it's probably aluminium and useless anyway) or buy a new rad with G1/4 threads.

I suppose the first thing is to establish what I want and that's not an easy question. Part of me wants to ignore common lore and go, CPU->Rad->GPU->Rad->Res/Pump, even though I know the loop temp delta is tiny compared to the component delta. I still see 30*C and higher on my GPU rad from time to time. That means 30*C water, rather than normal near ambient 20-21*C water. Even then going rad->component->rad->component probably won't fix that right away, I'm much more likely to end up with 2 radiators at 28*C instead.

So the other part of me is thinking 2 custom loops. If you are going to try something new (to you), go all in!

A few "but wait.." questions:
The Eiswolf pump in the GPU. It won't object to not being the only pump in the loop? If I add a D5 or similar pump in addition that shouldn't cause issues? Would it be better/possible to replace the AIO pump block with the normal GPU block connector block instead?

( I checked, I could put fittings on the tubes from the NZXT rad, but... It's aluminium so would require anti-corosion stuff to work with the copper stuff from Alphacool).

On figuring out the custom water cooling thing, I've got as far as:

Blocks, rads, tubing (16/10mm maybe), straight and 90* compression fittings with G1/4 threads.
I get a bit confused when it comes to pumps, pump tops, reservoirs etc. I don't want to just go the lazy option (again) and just pick an all-in-one unit and hope. Then end up buying a modular setup there instead.

paulca

The Eiswolf V2 is epic BTW.
Rad fans that STOP! Woohoo! THANK YOU!

Playing FarCry6 at 75FPS, 95% load and the computer is still silent at 20% fan RPM, GPU stable at 51*C. If I crank the fans to 100% that comes down to nearer 45*C. Under Furmark load at full fans it barely gets to 50*C and 192FPS.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi, quick question because it's not clear from your post exactly: Have you now coupled our AIO with the NZXT AIO? If not, then do without it. Is better! You have to add so much anti-corrosion additive to the water that the thermal conductivity of the water also drops! And you still don't have a guarantee that it won't corrode.