Alphacool Eis-Matrix

GeekFix

Hey guys. I'm mid way in a project upgrading my pc and hit a problem. I have a 280mm Eisbaer AIO unit that i loved the look of because i could mod it and replace the tubes with hard-line acrylic and an Eisflügel flow indicator. Don't panic, that's not my problem, my mobo is. It doesn't have an rgb header (Asus tuff z270), so i came across your Bluetooth version of the Alphacool Eismatrix. Now currently my pc is running lovely and cool but I've had to use the included little rgb button thing rather than the EisMatrix because i cannot figure out how the 3pin weird rgb plug goes into the 4 pin of the matrix?!

Sonny

While waiting for an official answer: what are you trying to control with the Eismatrix? It looks like you have the Aurora AIO and you want to control it via the Eimatrix (v1) bluetooth?
If so, you can't because Eismatrix V1 it's not for ARGB (addressable RGB) but only for RGB devices, so you need the Eismatix II, which comes with a remote controller and the right connections. I made the same mistake and I bought the Eismatrix II after.
But keep in mind, the light effects are not as good as the controller you already have (the wired one which comes with the Aurora AIO). Sees my other thread about the Eismatrix II if you want more infos.

GeekFix

Thanks Sonny. As mentioned, my mobo an asus tuff z270 has rgb but no rgb headers :(
I was hoping to control 2x 140mm and 3x 120mm Eiszyklon Aurora LUX PRO fans.
Also my phanteks p400s has an rgb light at the front and light strip inside i was hoping would link in.

GeekFix

Is there no pci-e card i can insert to provide rgb control to a system. Surely someone like thermaltake or so must of thought of it. i just cant find anything

Sonny

If you do want exclusively control rgbs with your motherboard without the rgb headers, then you need something like the corsair commander pro, which uses the usb header instead, it's just very (very) expensive.

Also keep in mind that the rgb world is far from standardized, so you'll need adapters, other software etc.

Last edited:

GeekFix

Ive had a thought and hopefully someone at alphacool can confirm if this is possible when they return to work tomorrow. I literally just popped an Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC 8GB Edition and my believe is that the end it has a red 4 pin rgb header next to two pmw fan headers. Not planning on using the pmw headers but do you recon i can use an rgb connector and connect to all my Eiszyklons rgb control?

Sonny

I have no idea, you should ask ASUS because maybe is a proprietary connection.
Consider that ARGB (or DRGB) headers have 3 pin (+5,data,ground) not 4. If it’s a standard 4 pin you can only connect 12v non addressable RGB

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Consider that ARGB (or DRGB) headers have 3 pin (+5,data,ground) not 4. If it’s a standard 4 pin you can only connect 12v non addressable RGB
This information is correct. The ARGB,s are operating with 3 Pin and at 5V. 4 Pin connections are for non addressable RGB at 12V.

Ive had a thought and hopefully someone at alphacool can confirm if this is possible when they return to work tomorrow. I literally just popped an Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC 8GB Edition and my believe is that the end it has a red 4 pin rgb header next to two pmw fan headers. Not planning on using the pmw headers but do you recon i can use an rgb connector and connect to all my Eiszyklons rgb control?
As Sonny has wrote to you contact Asus first please.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Interesting... Corsair writes only about RGB LEDs, nothing about aRGB (Digital RGB) but in the maunel they are speaking about 5V...... that si really confusing.
Well, i have no idea wich kind of connection Corsair is using. They have own connectors. So you will need an adapter from our connections to a 3-Pin connector (4-1 Pin) and than a connector from 3-Pin (4-1 Pin) to the Connector from Corsair.

GeekFix

Interesting... Corsair writes only about RGB LEDs, nothing about aRGB (Digital RGB) but in the maunel they are speaking about 5V...... that si really confusing.
Well, i have no idea wich kind of connection Corsair is using. They have own connectors. So you will need an adapter from our connections to a 3-Pin connector (4-1 Pin) and than a connector from 3-Pin (4-1 Pin) to the Connector from Corsair.
Fingers crossed Alphacool will be online to finally end this saga. Its crackers lol. Thanks for your help.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Its is stupid, there is no really one standard for aRGB connectors. Corsair has its own version, Thermaltake has its one version, we have a own version..... and some others have only own connectors. :-/ Not the best thing for users.

GeekFix

Dude, I even had a controller from alphacool but because it was version 1 it wouldn't work with the new fans. Worse still it was unused but open box so can't return it. Now add commander Pro to the cost, it's getting irritating how little information manufacturers provide considering there is no standardisation. Should of just got 5 fans from corsair with the included controller, would of been half the cost by now.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
But in the article text of Eis Matrix 1 we say its for RGB. We never told somebody you can use it with Digital RGB LEDs. And about the informations from Corsair, talk with Corsair. That is not our fault.

GeekFix

But in the article text of Eis Matrix 1 we say its for RGB. We never told somebody you can use it with Digital RGB LEDs. And about the informations from Corsair, talk with Corsair. That is not our fault.
I didn't exactly say it was your fault. Just some clarity would of helped for rgb novices. I know it was my fault. Could you at least please confirm the requested above? Will the commander Pro and if so what cable adaptors do I need. Thanks.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Strange... i wrote an answere and now its away.... anyway....
As i see... and i never had that Corsair controller in my hands... you need a JST to 3-Pin Adater (4-1 Pin) and than an adapter from Corsair from 3-Pin (4-1 Pin) to the connector they have.

And to be sure that we are talking abou tthe same, that is a 3-Pin 5V conector (4-1 Pin)
4-1pin connector.jpg

GeekFix

Strange... i wrote an answere and now its away.... anyway....
As i see... and i never had that Corsair controller in my hands... you need a JST to 3-Pin Adater (4-1 Pin) and than an adapter from Corsair from 3-Pin (4-1 Pin) to the connector they have.

And to be sure that we are talking abou tthe same, that is a 3-Pin 5V conector (4-1 Pin)
View attachment 1392

Thanks Eddy. Unfortuntaely that is not the connection on the fans. The fans have a 3 pin connector for the rgb control as in the picture ive attached. Also attached a picture of the 3pin connection on the corsair commander pro. Any suggestions would be a massive help.

Attachments

• 2020-06-24 11.04.57.jpg
    2020-06-24 11.04.57.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2020-06-24 11.03.24.jpg
    2020-06-24 11.03.24.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 4

Sonny

Geekfix, you are not going to have any luck with alphacool connectors either. You’ll need adapters for the adapters etc.

Honestly, alphacool rgb product line is confusing even more than others: their aurora rgb pro fans are argb orphans that don’t fit even in their own controller (eismatrix II) and requires adapters, go figures.

You’ll need the aurora rgb pro II with the native 5 pin connector to use that.

I’d suggest: get a molex SL extension cable, which is the one Corsair uses. Cut one end and cut out the rgb connector from the alphacool fan, and then join the cables using an iron solder or some connector you prefer, so just changing the extension cord you’ll be able to use the fans with everything.

@Eddy no news about the other thread about the eismatrix II? I understand that nobody is required to answer, but come on.

edit: typos

Last edited: