CKC issues

Ricardo74

Greetings from Spain.

My name is Ricardo. My only watercooled cpu computer has both Alphacool and Aquacomputer components. NexXxoS UT60 X-Flow 480mm radiator, Eiszapfen fittings and borosilicate glass 16/11 hard tubing from Alphacool, and from Aquacomputer it has D5 NEXT pump with an Aqualis borosilicate glass reservoir with fountain effect, both joined by a delrin adapter, and a cuplex Kryos NEXT VARIO with VISION (nickel/nickel) cpu block.

I built it in may 2019 and I have only used Alphacool's Pure Water and CKC coolants. The first time I used Pure Water to check for leakages. After nine or ten hours of testing, I drained the loop and changed to CKC. Gradually, CKC was turning to a light blue color which turned to a darker tone in about four months. Since then, I've been alternating between Pure Water and CKC every four or five months. With Pure Water no color changes (I know it shouldn't be used as a coolant, but temps are fine if not better than with CKC). I drain the loop from CKC and fill it again with Pure Water and the very light blue color that gets, doesn't increase in time. When I change to CKC again, the color change starts as always (light at the beginning and darker from the third or fourth month). It doesn't affect to performance and one and a half year later temps and flow are the same like they were in may 2019, but I'm courious about it.

Is this behavior normal? Is the same likely to happen if I use Alphacool Tec Protect Ultra liquid?

Thank you so much for your time and best regards,
Ricardo.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi Ricardo, have you made some photos regarding this issue? This sound very strange to me kind of a chemical reaction :unsure: This is not normal at all.

Ricardo74

Hi Metropolis34, here there are some photos

IMG_0985.JPEG

It's a little darker in person.

IMG_0987.JPEG

No change at all with Pure water, but with CKC I get this blue color in the loop. Maybe some kind of chemical reaction with the metal pipe fountain inside the reservoir? I don't know. In about two or three months I will disassemble the circuit to incorporate a flow sensor and change display of the cpu water block and I will check for some more issues inside the loop (cpu water block, pump and radiator mostly).

Thanks for your time Metropolis34

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
The fluid should be not like this. I really dont know what the reason is but i can imagine that probably a component is causing this problem. I can only recommend next time if you change the fluid to add some additional anti corrosion fluid. For example some manufacturers are giving no warranty if you use only distilled water with their products. Next time if you clean the system i would also open the block and check it. Just feel free to contact us if you need anything or any advise.

Ricardo74

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Next time I drain the loop, I will open and check the block. And I'll try some anti corrosion fluid without ethylene glycol, ethanediol or similar additives with CKC. Or added to Pure Water instead.

I'll keep in touch.

rdwing

I just got a new Eisbaer LT92 that I added a NeXxXos ST30 280mm to, and filled it with CKC. After 3 days my coolant is also turning this blue color.