CPU cooling best practices? Rad size.

paulca

Hi,

So from experience, GPUs are much easier to cool. I found a 360mm did make a difference there.

The CPU however seems to operate at about 50*C (or higher) above the radiator temp under load. So straight away get ambient +50 or higher before the loop even gets involved.

Better thermal paste, better block, better fluid (than the NZXT I currently have) will get me a few degrees out of that 50 maybe.

Delidding, lapping... eh... no.

So my question is on radiator size.

Is it worth having as large a radiator as possible so you can keep the loop temp as close to ambient as possible, or do the economics of scale fail you?

I want to decide between replacing a 360mm rad with a 240mm one to cool an 5800X. With a Kraken x73 it idles around 40*C and Prime95 can take it to 90*C while the radiator barely gains 1 or 2 degrees. Compared to the GPU (Eiswolf) the radiator gets hot to the touch in minutes with the fans stopped. CPU radaitor, not so much.

As I understand how radiators work (a little), the two biggest factors are surface area and temperature delta. So a 360mm radiator at +2*C might be able to output just as much heat as a 240mm radiator at +5*C delta.

I suppose based on that alone, without going to an active chiller, the bigger radiator still gives a lower delta. And a bigger bill.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
This is relatively simple. The larger the cooling surface, the better the performance! A simple formula says you can silently cool 100-110W of waste heat per 120mm fan. Maybe this will help you in your decision making ;-)