Eisbaer 360 over heating

haetes

Any help would be appreciated

Last week my PC went nuclear. The temp which never went above 70 on full load, blew past 90 and almost fried the computer. Figured the sudden spike in temp was from a dead pump. Swapped it out for a new one and all seemed good. Turned went to the bios, watch the temp sit around 48 for about 5 minutes then I had to step away. I returned from being away for about 15 minutes to see the water boiling (literally) in the block. The brand new pump is now burned out. Yay. That failure was related to the outlet quick connect that was blocked. I swapped out the connection, now that flows. Swapped back in the old pump, which turned out to be fine, and still nothing. Tore the pump apart again. Nothing seems to be out of order except the reservoir is now white and there seems to be a divot in the flow plate, but can't confirm that being new or old.

CPU: I9-9900K
MB: Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 Eisbaer
GPU: Nvidia 2080TI with Eiswolf

PC AC.jpg

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi, how old is your AIO? Have you ever serviced it? It may be that the cooler bottom needs to be cleaned. If it gets clogged, the flow rate drops and the cooling performance drops considerably.

haetes

The cooler bottom has been cleaned. Between white vinegar, a toothbrush and scalpel blade the fins should be obstruction free. My concern is that the plastic flow plate might have warped during the boiling incident, preventing the water from moving over the cooling plate.

Edit: The eisbaer was bought in November 2019

Last edited:

Thomas_S

Staff member
I do not assume that the plate has warped. Your water temperature would have had to be well over 100°C to damage the nylon plate. But I find that difficult to imagine! Our water cooling systems are designed for an operating temperature of 60°C. If you had had higher water temperatures, the AIO would certainly have been damaged in other places.

You said you repaired the quick-release coupling? I can only imagine that it still doesn't allow enough flow! Do you have the possibility to replace it completely? The result after that would be interesting!

haetes

I replaced the coupling, and the verified the others. They all seem to be in okay shape but went ahead and bought more replacement coupling. Will update when they arrive and are installed.

Thomas_S

Staff member
Note: If you completely dispense with the quick-release couplings and connect the components directly with the tube, you will achieve a much higher flow rate. More flow, more cooling performance!

haetes

Finished replacing all the couplings and back to sub 40's. Had I not already purchased the couplings, I definitely would have bypassed them. It looks as though the original fluid began corroding the springs in the plungers, preventing them from opening passed a certain point. Now that all three have been replaced and fluid flushed, the PC is running at 100% again.