Eisbaer Extreme

joethestranger

If I would add another radiator to Extreme 280, what radiator would you recommend?

My case is Define 7 XL and Extreme 280 is mounted on top position. Right now in front I have 2 Noctua 140 industrial fans. Additional radiator would go there instead of these fans.

Should I use the same NexXxos ST30 radiator (as is used in Extreme 280) or could I use any of the thicker ones, XT45, UT60 or Monsta? Would thicker radiators offer noticeably better performance?

When additional radiator is added to the loop, should I mount it at top and Extreme 280 at front, so the pump would be at bottom of the loop? Or could I keep the Extreme 280 at top? I would prefer to keep it there.

Finally, what should I use to fill it up with? My local dealer doesn't have CKC. Can I use Tec or Ultra Pure?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

joethestranger

Forgot to add, I only have 10980xe in the loop. Extreme 280 with single NexXxos ST30 radiator and stock fans can keep the 10980xe below 90C up to around 4600MHz.

I'm quite happy with the performance as most other AIOs cant do that. But would like to get additional 200MHz out of 10980xe and maybe lower the noise.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Wich radiator depends on the fans and how much noise is ok for you. For example.... 600rpm fans are better on a ST30 than on a XT45. With 1000rpm, the XT45 will be better. If you are going for push&pull, the XT45 will be better with 600rpm fans on both sides. The UT60 will be better with Push&Pull and fans with 1500 rpm. You see?
You can use any liquid you like. I would only not prefere colored liquid.

joethestranger

Thanks. The forum here is really helpful. One of the best among product support forums I'm on.

Read some comparison of 30 vs 45 vs 60 mm radiators and yes it seems, it depends. I'm totally new to liquid cooling, sorry for the noob questions :)

One more noob question, where in the loop should I put the additional radiator? Should it go before the CPU block or after it? Does it make difference?

Thanks again,
Joe

joethestranger

Thanks again. Ordered ST30 prefilled kit and got it yesterday. Installing it was super easy. Only few droplets escaped when adding it to the loop.

Used 140mm Noctua Industrial 2000rpm fans, that I already had from previous builds. They are loud! Mounted them in pull position, pulling air out from the case.
When I used the same fans for pushing air into the case (without radiator) they weren't so loud. I'll have to replace them or try some low noise adapter cables, which I already have as a leftovers from D15s sets I have used in other builds.

Now with additional 280 ST30 rad, the Extreme 280 (or more like 560 now) can keep 10980XE below 90C in Cinebench. Idle temps around 40C with ambient around 25C. I'll have to do an extended stability test and try to optimize volts bit more, but looks good sofar.

Last edited: