eisball coolant

kulisse

Hi,

I'm planning my first ever water loop and I went with the eisball reservoir. When I received it, I read in the manual that it is recommended to use alphacool clear coolant or distilled water or osmosis filtered water. It also says "no UV".
I didn't know this and I already got a bottle of EK cryofuel mystic fog which is not clear and is uv reactive as well.

So my question is: Can I use this coolant or do I have to buy another? And what would be the consequences of using this coolant?

Thanks and have a great christmas!

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
We advise against using UV-reactive liquids. The reason for this is that the substances and particles contained can quickly contaminate, clog or even damage components of your water cooling system. In my opinion, the high maintenance effort and the expected loss of cooling capacity do not justify a possibly good appearance! Use clear liquids as described in the manual. Our Tec Protect 2 or the Apex Eco are a good choice here.

Iroh47

And part 2 to this, i highly advise against mystic fog as a whole. Looks pretty for short periods of time, has been well documented to fallout anywhere from 1 week to a couple months. The rarest cases are where it works as intended for longer than that. Solid coolants last longer than that, transparent(colored or colorless, doesnt matter), last the longest without issues.

I have yet to test alphacool's coolants or know anyone who has used them, but Koolance 702(705 if you dont like money) , DP ultra, Mayhem X1 Transparents , Corsair XL5(XL8 under review), Primochill Transparents are all on the "tested and recommended" list

kulisse

Thanks for both of your answers. I don't think I'll go with the mystic fog then. but to my understanding, every colored coolant is UV reactive. Or am I mistaken? If I can't go with solid coolant I'd like to at least have blue coolant. Is there any I can find that's non UV reactive?

Thank you

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @kulisse

Not all cooling water is UV active, only those that are described with it.
Whether it is a pastel or a clear color, with or without UV to be active. Such liquids contain, so that they become colored, a certain amount of solids that can settle over time or longer standstill and thus clog or deposit the fine cooling fins in the coolers.
It can also damage and destroy the bearings on the pumps. And when that happens, it is often very difficult to clean them again. Therefore, there is the recommendation to use absolutely clear liquids so that something like this cannot happen.

Best Regards