Eisblock XPX Pro mounting brackets not locking!?

EvisHomeLab

I just got the Eisblock XPX Pro for my server, measured and finalized all the tubing and now I have been trying to test the LGA2066 mounting brackets, slide in and lock with no luck .. they just won't lock, how hard are these supposed to be mashed in, haven't used a hammer yet.

Another problem I run in to is one of the Knurled Nuts won't go fully in, seems to me that the thread is damaged or has something in it.

@jEvisHomeFTJxtCmWYAIzpEJ.jpg

EvisHomeLab

Thanks for quick reply. Took more pics from the bottom and emailed.

I cannot see anything specific that would be wrong with the mounting brackets, nor the cooler. The brackets seem to match quite perfectly without the cooler, but they just won't lock no matter how hard I try to slide/push them together around the cooler, they just won't go far enough to lock.

IMG_20220520_112135e.jpgIMG_20220520_111453e.jpgIMG_20220520_111438e.jpg

EvisHomeLab

I overlayed another mounting bracket on top of the LGA 2066 (emailed also to support).

There seems to be a small 1-2mm difference for the cooler area. You can see it on this overlay with another bracket. Left side aligned, you can see the difference on the right.

IMG_20220520_131458e.jpgIMG_20220520_131443e.jpg

EvisHomeLab

Yea, they just asked if the other brackets work?? I tried all the other brackets and they snap in just fine, just my luck that the 2066 doesn't fit .. just need that server back up, is it safe to use it without it locking?

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Then you need a new bracket. Please do not experiment! Our coolers are only to be used in the prescribed manner! Important: you can only get final clarification and help from our support. We here in the forum can only give advice and help.

EvisHomeLab

Have to get this off my chest, we got a replacement bracket some 2 weeks back .. which again did not fracking fit, same as the original part we had! Need to raise a question, have you tested the brackets? We were not going to wait another 4 weeks to get the third bracket, so we went with a totally another vendor for the CPU block.

To add pain to this rather slow episode, last Friday, this flow indicator with filter G1/4' cracked from end to end, with multiple smaller cracks in the middle (and I cannot say that the fittings would have been overtightened, when I went to take it out, I could EASILY open both ends with fingers only.) I would have taken pictures of the indicator, but my colleague took it and mashed it with a hammer on the spot. :oops: Since we replaced the CPU block, for the week he had been configuring Proxmox and multiple virtual machines for a Kubernetes setup, when he had heard this weird snap or a pop from the open enclosure and the system froze half a minute later. Inside the enclosure, he saw water drops running on the tubing and immediately went to the power switch in the back. We don't know if the sound he heard was the indicator cracking or something on the motherboard, which at this point does not really matter, the crack had ended up leaking to the motherboard, destroying it and along with it 128GB of memory, total damages being around 850 EUR. Now we also have ~400 EUR worth of water-cooling parts, which we are really "afraid" to put into any use. By some miracle CPU and everything else that was attached to the motherboard were still tested to work fine.

A quick tip for anyone else using the same indicator, make sure the tubing from the indicator does not let the water flow towards anything important. Our mistake was that once the crack happened, the water run on the outside of the tubing downwards and was dripping from there to the motherboard.

We were in hopes to use these components to build a series of home lab servers, but this was not at all what we expected quality-wise. Also, this was not our first design built with water-cooling either, the first series we built back in 2001.

This project we started designing already in March and thought would be hardware-wise finished latest at the end of May (with component shortages and delays), and then be finished with the software side in early June .. now it's back to thinking if we are comfortable using any cooling parts from this build.

And apologies, I absolutely hate writing about this sort of thing, and I usually don't, but the frustration level just exceeded a threshold level on our end .. poor choices happen, and we learn.

Last edited: