EISWOLF 3090 FTW3 - Can I keep the original backplate?

Cayan

Hi, just purchased the EISWOLF 3090 FTW3, and Im wondering if it is an issue to keep the original Backplate? I have the 2nd version of the Card, and the original backplate that comes with it is pretty damm good on keeping the temps of the back VRAM in place.
So:
1 - is it possible to install the block and put the original backplate in?
2 - Will the Alphacool backplate do a better job than original backplate?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi, if the original back plate has the same size like the graphics card then yes. But if the backplate is some how longer than the card then you can not.

Will the Alphacool backplate do a better job than original backplate?

I assume you use passiv backplate right? Not watercooled? The backplates that we have would perform similar like yours. But if you use the activ cooled backplates then you will have definietly better temperatures.

Thank you.

Cayan

Installed today. Seems that Alphacool Backplate is better. GPU is 10C lower, at 70C, consider that Im on a 35C summer in Spain withou AC... the room is ridiculously hot. Memory stays on 80C, 12C lower than before. Thats running in a highet clock than before. Out of summer, I can expect at least 10c less overall. And thats running really quite fans at 50%. At stock cooler, my computer sounded like a jet and I had 80+C with n GPU and 92C on memory. Also, it helped the CPU temps to low down 6C, wich is great! Im happy. Im thinks about the active backplate now, to improve even more.
Question:
What improvments can I expect adding that product?

inzer890

What improvments can I expect adding that product?
I got Eiswolf 2 installed on my 3080Ti FTW3. Did you have an issue with stock thermal pads 1mm on memory and mosfets? I had to swap it to a third party 1.25mm to achieve a decent contact. Memory temp was aweful with 1mm, over than 90 degrees, much worse than air cooled. What's your video memory temps now?
Concerning the backplate. The one supplied with Eiswolf is thicker than FTW3 stock (at least for 3080Ti). Might cause an issue with the screws length. I used Gelid Ultimate 3mm pads for the rear side of the board and 2mm stock pad (rear side of the GPU spot). Works great, the backplate gets hot under the workload.
Regarding overall performance level... It's quite contradictory. 73 degrees GPU/ 83 hot spot/ 78 memory after the installation. Workload: Metro Exodus Enhanced, 4K, full RTX, no dlss. ~440 watts power draw peak. It's 1700rpm stock fans, which sucks. I inverted the direction of air from inside of the case and stacked the fans with my case 3x140mm push-pull. It improved thermals but yet quite far from the water-cooled systems. Same testing conditions gave me 68/78/78 (GPU/hot spot/ memory). 26 degrees ambient tepm.
After a week got it improved. Maybe due to the time requred for Kryonaut thermal grease to normalize it's thermal transmission. I played Cyberpunk yesterday and got 59-60 degrees GPU/ 69-70 hotspot/ 74 memory. 26 degrees ambient. Power draw 400w peak. 1500rpm 3x120mm fans + 100rpm 3x140mm fans. Must test it again with Metro Exodus.
In terms of further improvements. I decided to switch to a full water-looped cooling. Probably I'll remove the stock DC-LT 2 pump and install Alphacool's Aurora Esiblock terminal to turn it to a regular full cover block. The pump seems to be too weak. Will be swapped to 18W Laing DDC.

Cayan

Hi, no issues on the memories. I have decrease 10-15 degrees on the GPU and my memories never goes higher than 80 dregrees. Is preety damm good actually.
My GPU stays on 70C and memories on 80C ( Consider that Im on 30C+ hot summer in Spain without AC, The room is REEEEEALLY HOT.
Without the Eiswolf, I was getting 83C-85C on the GPU and 96-105 on the memories. So, the Eiswolf allows me use my computer in the summer without fry any component.
I bought an active backplate now, and a 1500LH reservoir+Pump, will arrive in couple days and I will let you know, after install it, how much improvement I will get. But I have great expectations on it. Will let you know!

inzer890

1500LH reservoir+Pump, will arrive in couple days and I will let you know, after install it, how much improvement I will get. But I have great expectations on it. Will let you know!
Are you planning to combine the pump with this stock DC-LT? Or to remove it off the loop? Alphacool’s guy replied that it is ok to combine it with more powerful pump… I’m quite far from hydro-engineering but yet uncertain is it a good idea to combine two devices which productivity differs almost 10 times (75l/h vs 600l/h) Hopefully I’m wrong and my concern is vain

Cayan

Planning is to keep... as far as I lnow, the more powerfull pump will not damage the less powerfull, will just ensure that the flow remain strong and constant. Will increase the flow on the weak pumps, but not in a point of damaging it.