Hybrid air/water cooling ideas

Charlie2006

Most GPU and CPU heatsinks have heatpipes sticking out the end. I'm imagining a solid copper block that fits tightly over the ends of those heatpipes, to help cool the GPU (and potentially the CPU, with a cooler like the Noctua C14). The block could have its own water channel and terminals, or it could be made to transfer heat to an AIO. I think this could be useful in these situations:
  1. for people who are afraid of voiding their GPU warranty and/or are intimidated by the process of installing a waterblock;
  2. people who don't want to fully commit to watercooling, e.g. because they need the computer for work so they can't take the risk of having a pump fail, or they don't want to spend so much money all at once;
  3. if the watercooling is only enabled some of the time (such as when overclocking or gaming) people may be willing to accept louder pumps, which would be cheaper (and if very high reliability and continuous 24/7 operation are no longer requirements, very cheap pumps could be used). People could also use it even without a radiator - they could run hoses into their computer and use a bucket of cold water and a cheap pump, and replace the water when they notice high temperatures. It would be an inexpensive introduction to watercooling, and they would probably like it enough to buy a full watercooling system when they are able.
  4. I can imagine some implementations where a pump would not even be needed, for example the GPU block could have a reservoir attached, with channels that guide cooler water from the bottom towards the block, and after the water is heated it rises. This could also incorporate some cooling elements, e.g. finned copper walls on the reservoir, but even without its own cooling, any time the GPU temperature drops, the block would dump the water's heat into the heatpipes and the use the GPU's heatsink as a radiator. In the worst case, it would be a "thermal battery" that extends by a few minutes the amount of time that the GPU can run at full power, and is "recharged" when the GPU is not using a lot of power, e.g. when a game is paused.
Another idea is to use heatpipe blocks like this, with a different phase change material, e.g. paraffin, as a thermal battery.
Another way to implement a hybrid system for CPU coolers would be to have a copper plate, maybe 5 mm wide, with water channels running through it, that sits between the CPU and the cooler. Or it could use heatpipes to create a riser for heat, with built-in water channels.
And my final idea - put heatpipes inside CPU waterblocks to spread the heat and increase cooling area. Maybe a tower water cooler?
If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Your company makes the best radiators, I haven't tried any other parts but I will in the future.