Meshify 2 + 420 radiator?

syngiun

I have this build currently running on air.

While the Noctua NH-D15 is a great cooler, I am not happy about the constantly changing fan speeds. I understand that watercooling will help reduce the fan noise fluctuations due to the greater heat density flattening out the temperature curve. I am specifically interested in radiators with 140mm fans due to the lower pitch sound they make as compared to a 120mm fan.

My question is simple. Will any version of Alphacool's 420 (3x140) radiators fit in the top position of the Meshify 2 case?

Has anyone actually built a system with this case and a 420 radiator? In a perfect scenario, I would want Xflow radiators if and where possible - a 420 in top, a 280 in front, possibly another 280 or 140 in the floor. Yes perhaps a bit of overkill, but I want this PC to run stone cold and silent as possible. I want to watercool the GPU as well. I'm also considering EKWB's motherboard monoblock for the Aorus Master, their x570 chipset block, and distro plate - pump combo designed for the Meshify 2 case.

I'm not afraid of drilling holes or a slight bit of case modding if it is needed. However I do not want to spend about 1000 on a complete watercooling setup only to have the radiators not fit. I do not have an unlimited amount of time to fool around with returns or exchanges. I live in Switzerland so I assume any Alpahacool products would be shipped per post.

Please do not refer me to the manual. Yes of course I have read the manual. I have also had a lengthy discussion with Fractal's support staff regarding any suggestions they might have. Unfortunately, their advice is to stick with 360 rads even though a 420 fit is advertised. They say "most likely" any 420 radiators will fit, but then the glass panel cannot be re-attached due to the snap-in ball and socket design of the glass panel's mounting system. The radiator would be so wide that there would be no room for the fastener ball to protrude into the case as designed. This is a bit of false advertising in my opinion, but I'll save that rant for another day.

For the German speakers... Es tut mir sehr leid dass ich auf Englisch schreibe. Mein Deustch ist noch nicht so ausgereift. Genau so mit Schwiizer Bärndüütsch. kan i au mal vergässe... da han i kei chance. :LOL:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1 g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair AX 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Acer Predator Z1 31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Bärndüütsch..... ? ? ? ? Der war echt gut.

Never used the Meshify 2 but my experience with Fractal is, that if they say radiator XY will fit, it will fit. But ok, if they told you to use a 360 if you like to use the distroplate, than i would trust them. They know their cases very well. About "mostly a 420" will fit.... i know why they are saying this. The reason is, that some radiators from some brands are a bit longer than the most on the market. Our radiators are one of the shortest on the market.
Monoblocks... doesn`t matter from which brands, performce always worse than a normal cpu cooler (also doesn`t matter from which brand).

BTW... 140mm fans are not really better than a 120mm fans on radiators. A 140mm fan is louder than a 120mm fan with the same design and the same speed. The 140mm is larger, but also has more dead angles at the corners. 140mm fans are not really a real advantage. You shouldn't overestimate that. Especially when it comes to radiators. This is a widespread misconception. The biggest advantage here is only the larger surface area of the 140mm radiators. But if you put a fan reducer on it and run the 140mm radiator with a 120mm fan, the advantages of a 140mm fan are minimal when you compare performance and volume.