'Gainward Phantom, Phantom GS, Palit GameRock, GameRock OC RTX 3090, 3080 waterblocks'

parisv

Water block with conventional back panel (aluminum).
The memory on the back of the 3090 is air-cooled only...
how do you air cool it if the fans are removed for the waterblock? does anyone have this currently, I'm interested in what the vram temps are

church

Thicker pads can be less heat conductive. But if problem with thinner ones is bad contact, that is bigger issue then that. Seen threads that due uncommon pad thickness used in some cards, after changing old ones to new, supposedly better, but not of exact thickness & squishiness, temps took hit. Hence always worth using right pads.
Hmm, took a look at Bykski's block & backplate. It looks like it's backplate cannot be used with our blocks due how it's inlets are constructed in unified block serving water for both front main block & backplate, isn't it?

Hmm, took a look at Bykski's block & backplate. It looks like it's backplate cannot be used with our blocks due how it's inlets are constructed in unified block serving water for both front main block & backplate, isn't it?
You're right :) And besides thicker pads, there are somewhat fewer contact areas between the card and the block. So it seemed to me.
For us, mp5 will do. Or this. Or AC will be able to offer us an alternative from their range :)

muksterrr

Hi I'm thinking of buying a waterblock for my palit gamerock 3090.

1. Has anyone tried mining ethereum with the waterblock? I am wondering what the VRAM temperatures are after installing the waterblock and whether it's worth it to buy it.
2. Is it okay to use Gelid Extreme thermal pads with this waterblock? I am guessing that the memory modules require 1mm pads is that right?
3. Any solutions on how to cool the backplate actively? Mp5works looks interesting but complicated to install :/

Hi I'm thinking of buying a waterblock for my palit gamerock 3090.

1. Has anyone tried mining ethereum with the waterblock? I am wondering what the VRAM temperatures are after installing the waterblock and whether it's worth it to buy it.
2. Is it okay to use Gelid Extreme thermal pads with this waterblock? I am guessing that the memory modules require 1mm pads is that right?
3. Any solutions on how to cool the backplate actively? Mp5works looks interesting but complicated to install :/
Hello.
Thermal pads here.
Temperatures 3080 with mining here.
Temperatures are 3090 here, but without mining.
Maybe with mining 3090.
I have not seen anything easier than installing mp5.

BurritoJustice

Perfect, just upload them here in the forum (at best in a separate post). Then we can immediately see if you need other pads ;-)
Hi Thomas,

I have still been meaning to open up my card to try and fix the memory temps. Unfortunately, I can't really afford downtime (not a miner, need it for work) and if I were to drain my loop to see if they had poor contact then send photos then do it all again to replace it I'd have too much downtime. I had a 3060 laptop to use in the meantime but I just had to return it :(

Is it possible for me to pay for the pads that I would receive otherwise, and then when I pull apart my card I can take photos and get them reimbursed?

I'm hitting 96c in long loads (40c on core) and I think it's contributing to some stability issues I'm occasionally encountering.

What are the exact pads you guys would recommend if it is the packaging fault?

It's a shame about the active backplate but very understandable for such a low volume product, no ill-will there.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi Thomas,

I have still been meaning to open up my card to try and fix the memory temps. Unfortunately, I can't really afford downtime (not a miner, need it for work) and if I were to drain my loop to see if they had poor contact then send photos then do it all again to replace it I'd have too much downtime. I had a 3060 laptop to use in the meantime but I just had to return it :(

Is it possible for me to pay for the pads that I would receive otherwise, and then when I pull apart my card I can take photos and get them reimbursed?

I'm hitting 96c in long loads (40c on core) and I think it's contributing to some stability issues I'm occasionally encountering.

What are the exact pads you guys would recommend if it is the packaging fault?

It's a shame about the active backplate but very understandable for such a low volume product, no ill-will there.

I understand that it is annoying. But a settlement of this kind will not work.
1. we have to check whether there may also have been an error during assembly. (Common mistakes: pads stuck on incorrectly, foil forgotten on the pads, contact pressure does not fit... etc.)
2. if the assembly is correct, there is no packaging error. If your card is affected by the package problem, then it is a mistake by Nvidia because: They deliver a card that does not correspond to the specified dimensions and has the most varied tolerances.

We can help! But unfortunately, the only way to do this is to send an email with photos to support.

If you need pads: We recommend the 7W/mk pads with 1mm & 0.5mm thickness to compensate for the tolerances (if available).

BurritoJustice

I understand that it is annoying. But a settlement of this kind will not work.
1. we have to check whether there may also have been an error during assembly. (Common mistakes: pads stuck on incorrectly, foil forgotten on the pads, contact pressure does not fit... etc.)
2. if the assembly is correct, there is no packaging error. If your card is affected by the package problem, then it is a mistake by Nvidia because: They deliver a card that does not correspond to the specified dimensions and has the most varied tolerances.

We can help! But unfortunately, the only way to do this is to send an email with photos to support.

If you need pads: We recommend the 7W/mk pads with 1mm & 0.5mm thickness to compensate for the tolerances (if available).

I understand, thanks for the comprehensive response. With those pads would I be stacking them or something to find the right thickness? I'm guessing they are higher W/mK than the stock pads? I'll replace them all if so.

I'm going to wait until I get my laptop back and then I'll pull it apart for photos.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I understand, thanks for the comprehensive response. With those pads would I be stacking them or something to find the right thickness? I'm guessing they are higher W/mK than the stock pads? I'll replace them all if so.
Exactly, unfortunately we don't have 1.5mm pads. If the distance is too big, we use a stack of 1mm & 0.5mm - but it still works perfectly. The 7W/mk pads in the standard scope of delivery are intended for the memory, the 3W/mk pads for the backplate range. If you use the 7W/mk pads everywhere, there is no disadvantage ;-) moreover, IgorsLab recently declared them the price-performance winner in a test.

church

I see that Palit released their 3090ti cards. I wonder if it will have same PCB, and if maybe it will help selling this WB inventory. Then again, Ti cost even more, there will be even less buyers of it (especially, as it makes much more sense with 3080 with 12gb), so probably won't make much difference.

I see that Palit released their 3090ti cards. I wonder if it will have same PCB, and if maybe it will help selling this WB inventory. Then again, Ti cost even more, there will be even less buyers of it (especially, as it makes much more sense with 3080 with 12gb), so probably won't make much difference.
The configurator states that the 3090 and 3090ti boards are different. Where did you get it to help?

Why release WB for 3090ti when sales of WB for 3090 (with active backplate!!) failed is a mystery to me. Given that the 40xx series is already in the summer. Considering the TDP of the new 40xx series cards... WB will be a must, along with an active backplate :)

church

I wonder how configurator "would know" if i just saw on one hw site news about release of gamerock 3090ti linked to the announcement on palit's site, and probably nobody yet have card on hands and thus able to provide PCB pictures. Though different PCB is possible (unlike with 3080 & 3090), if nothing else, because 3090ti by specs seems having 1x16pin power connector vs 3x8 of 3090, even if air cooler looks same.
I'm guesstimating though, that for every 3090 were 10x 3080 sold, and given even higher price of Ti and even more insane TDP of it, those will sell by another order less numbers, as at that price range people will rather skip it and wait for 40XX gen cards. Just as with 3080 vs 3090, similar situation with 3090 vs 3090ti. Performance gain is so small, that workload (games) that didn't run fast enough on 3090 (eg. some worse optimized in VR), won't run sufficiently good on 3090ti either. Interim product just to claim hypothetical leadership until next cards come, not one that makes sense to buy.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We get the PCB designs already before the release of the new cards from some manufacturers. Therefore we can also feed our configurator with them. However, we are not allowed to put PCB images from the manufacturers in there.
How the sales of the 3090TI will run, hard to say. If I compare it with the 3080 and 3090, at least for us the demand for 3090 cooler was higher than for 3080 cooler. We also know, through our worldwide reseller, that the most expensive cards often sell similar or better than the cheap ones. E.g. 3080 vs. 3060, the 3080 clearly wins. The price hardly plays a role for very many. The 3090TI will sell very well.
I wouldn't buy it either. I would rather get a 3090 if I need the 24GB, otherwise rather a 3080TI. But since I am not yet at the limit with my 2080TI in what I do, I can currently still lean back. I'm more curious about the performance of the new 4XXX generation. But the trend towards higher TDP values will definitely not be on the decline for high-end cards.