Purchase advice for Rtx3090 pny cooling

Hu5o1989

There is already an 420mm Eisbaer Aurora Pro in my PC with a 12900kf , with some mod (long tubes and metal fittings).For my Rtx3090 Pny Revel, if I want to switch to liquid cooling, I thought the AIO Eiswolf 2 might be a great choice but I have some doubts. 1) I have a Fractal Meshify 2 XL case with the 420mm radiator on top, would the 360mm GPU put on the front be fine? 2) combining the two systems would I improve the cooling of both the CPU and the GPU or are they better separated? 3)Is it possible to mount the active backplate on the AIO?
4)another thing not about the GPU but the CPU, I wanted to take Alphacool Apex Backplate XPX/Eisbaer LGA 1700 Metall Full Cover for convenience in screwing the Aurora Pro heatsink, is it compatible with the Contact Frame Thermal Grizzly?, I had removed the original ILM for the lga1700 bending issues

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi,

1) I have a Fractal Meshify 2 XL case with the 420mm radiator on top, would the 360mm GPU put on the front be fine?
I have checked the spesification of the case and it should be not a problem to place the 360mm radiator on the front.

2) combining the two systems would I improve the cooling of both the CPU and the GPU or are they better separated?
It is up to you really you can use them seperatly or together. Performance wise there will bo not much difference.

3)Is it possible to mount the active backplate on the AIO?
Which graphics card do you have exactly?

4)another thing not about the GPU but the CPU, I wanted to take Alphacool Apex Backplate XPX/Eisbaer LGA 1700 Metall Full Cover for convenience in screwing the Aurora Pro heatsink, is it compatible with the Contact Frame Thermal Grizzly?, I had removed the original ILM for the lga1700 bending issues
Yes the Apex Frame is compatible with the Eisbaer.

Hu5o1989

My GPU Is PNY GeForce RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB, 24576 MB GDDR6X (VCG309024TFXPPB) , is one of the first custom GPUs of end 2020 ,with the black lr22 inductor,but the problem is i think they made 2 versions of the heatsink block, mine was one of the first like Palit and Gainward and it has 0.75mm thermal pads on front memories.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Please check the links below. We have 3 blocks for this graphics card;

And if you are interested here is the link for the active back plate;

Hu5o1989

Ok I'm sure I'd get the Eiswolf 2 AIO with the Aurora gpx-n active backplate ,but for mounting the backplate on the Eiswolf 2 circuit how should I do? and what additional parts do i need?in the on-line manual it does not specify how to do it only that it is compatible in this case (Eiswolf 2 Aio)with it with the thread G1/4" and not with 5/3mm connections .

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Right! With the Eiswolf 2 you can only use the G1/4" version. The most common variant is the:
GPU -> active backplate -> radiator
For this you only need another 12/7/7.6 TPV hose and 2 more TPV fittings or 90 degree connectors.

Hu5o1989

Yes I imagine 2 90° degree connectors for the backplate but for connect it to the loop I need 2 Alphacool HF Y-45° connector or what? One for the In and One for Out? Maybe connected in series on the same main pipe that goes from OUT GPU pump to the radiator (OUT) or follow the flow diagram by placing both the backplate (IN) with the pump (IN) and the outlet of the backplate (OUT) on the OUT pipe of the GPU pump, but i dont know if One of this idea can cause issue with the flow , like weak flow of coolant to the pump.Or for the Active Backplate I put a Alphacool HF connection terminal 5-way G1/4'' inner thread in OUT of circuit pump with one G1/4" screw(hoping dont get problem with the flow) .So the advice from you experts is welcome as I said when I got the Aurora Pro and changed the length of the tubes and the coolant for my 12900kf for fitting in my Fractal Meshify 2 XL

Last edited:

Thomas_S

Staff member
I wouldn't make it so difficult for myself & work with Y-connectors!
Very simple! I hope my amateurish drawing explains it a bit!?photo_2022-09-06_08-11-09.jpg

How many pumps do you have in the system?

Hu5o1989

I've an AIO Eisbaer Aurora Pro 420mm (in an old thread you helped me by suggesting the changes to make it fit as I wanted in my case) and I would like to buy the Eiswolf 2 and the active backplate reference for my 3090 PNY. So I could link them together, the talk about pumps is because they are DC-LT 2,for what I have read they are the most powerful for AIO on the market , but not like VPP755 (custom loop)and i had doubts about how to connect the active backplate(where put IN and OUT) and if the pump depending on the backplate mounting (IN and OUT)could have flow problems.

Thomas_S

Staff member
If you include the Eiswolf 2, you will have 2 pumps in the circuit. This should ensure a decent flow even with a backplate. You can freely select the IN/OUT assignment on the active backplate. There is no default.

Thomas_S

Staff member
What kind Y connector Is compatible with 12,7/7,6mm tpv hose?
None directly! You must use the following fitting on the hose, for example:

You can then use the following Y-connector on the G1/4" thread of the TPV fitting:

Hu5o1989

Ok so there are 2 way for Eiswolf 2+ Active Backplate/and then connect the Eisbaer circuit:
1) GPU (OUT PUMP from the original from the box 90° connector )->to( IN with another 90° connector) active backplate (OUT backplate with another 90° connector) to the quick-connect for connect the Eisbaer circuit or radiator
2) GPU (OUT PUMP removing the original 90° connector with Alphacool HF Y-45° connector - G1/4 revolvable - 2x inner- 1x outer thread) one go to IN with 90° connector) active backplate while the other connects with the Alphacool HF Y-connector - G1 / 4 revolvable - 3x inner thread and reconnects together with the OUT of the active backplate (90 ° connector) to end up at the quick-connect for connect the Eisbaer circuit or radiator.
I hope I have explained my 2 variants and if they are both technically applicable, since the necessary pieces have been explained to me by you.
I know I'm going to drive you crazy thanks again for the time you dedicate to me

Thomas_S

Staff member
Definitely variant 1! Because it is the easiest to implement with as less material as possible! Besides, water always looks for the easiest way! If you offer it 2 paths, as with variant 2, it is possible that you will not achieve the optimum cooling performance ;-)

Hu5o1989

Thanks Ok let' go to the shopping cart, ah in my Eisbaer Aurora Pro I have the tec protect 2 Clear inside, can I mix it with that of the Eiswolf?
For the future if I want to build a real custom loop , some piece like the radiators can I use it?

Thomas_S

Staff member
Yes, you can connect it without any problems! Concerns both! Of course, you can also use the radiators for a later loop. All components are part of our DIY programme and available separately (except the pump for the Eiswolf).

Hu5o1989

ok it arrived and I'm assembling everything, but from the photo I have this doubt because in what I have circled in blue there are no pads while on the original heatsink yes?
Now the Eiswolf 2 is running but when I play something even when scrolling some page on internet or on steam the card/Eiswolf make coil whine? My RTX 3090 has never done this in its entire life, and I had also taken it apart other times to change some pads and thermal paste.
By the way the temps in idle after some time are: 30° Gpu temps, 43° Hotspot temp, 52/54° Memory temp

Attachments

• Compress_20220913_122531_1534.jpg
    Compress_20220913_122531_1534.jpg
    861.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Thomas_S

Staff member
Please place the included pads as indicated in the manual. Manufacturers often use thermal pads in places where no pads are actually needed. They are usually only there to provide additional support for the original cooler on the board.

Now about the coil whine: Did you use additional pads in the places where you were unsure? Because the AIO seems to be in use now and the temperatures are more than OK!

Hu5o1989

No for the pads i just asked, but i assembled everything as the instructions said, i don't know why it does coil whine, before disassembly it worked regularly. However i ordered a couple of y connections to improve the flow because I realized that to attack from the OUT of the pump to the Active Backplate the tube makes a curve too pronounced that choked the tube itself so that I changed the L 90⁰ connection on the Active Backplate with a normal , hoping that nothing will fry in the next few days I will modify the flow with the new connections. The only disappointment is this inexplicable coil whine (I noticed that the Eiswolf lettering on the pump does not light up while RTX turns on)

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

coil whine is unfortunately a normal mechanical issue. The only thing to influence it are changing the frequency of your power supply by replacing it or changing the temperature so that the coils doesn´t swing as much anymore and therefore reducing the coil whine. Here you will find a Link ( in German) which describes it further and is giving some advice to lower the frequency. Often the air cooler is louder then the coil whine, so that you doesn´t hear it.