Question about Alphacool Repack - Single Laing D5 - Dual 5,25 Bay Station incl. 1x Alphacool VPP655

sebastian

Hello

I'm considering buying a "Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 240 D5/XT" DYI Kit that comes with this PUMP + Reservoir combo:

This could be my first watercooling loop and I have some questions:

1) The dimensions ( Dimensions (LxWxH): 125 x 148 x 84mm ) are considering the D5 PUMP? So 148mm with the D5 included, or I still need to add the Pump to the width?
2) Is it possible to have this pump+reservoir laying inside the case (maybe without screwing) ? (My case it's a Phanteks Evolv ITX, so I don't have space to put this as a bay). But I think I have some space inside (depending on the final dimensions).
3) Can you place it vertically or needs to be horizontally?

Thank you

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
1. The length is without the pump. You have to add about 3 cm to that.
2. You can put it wherever you want. The only important thing is that the pump must not suck in any air. But I'll tell you right away that the Phanteks Evolv ITX is a really bad choise for a water cooling system. Very tight for a first built.
3. Vertical is fine.

sebastian

- Thank you Eddy, you answer was more than excellent. If I have to add 30mm this Alphacool Repack almost sure won't fit (unless I place the pump in the air over the GPU or something like that).

- As for the Phanteks Evolv ITX: I agree, it's a bad case for a first or a really good WC system. And this is the reason I've been struggling to define what to get. However my main goal was to add WC to the RX 6800 with the Alphacool Waterblock, not the CPU. This is my current RIG:

7X7OWIo.jpg

A) If I go with an XT45 TOP radiator --> I need to drop the CPU cooler and add the CPU to the loop (I'll probably need 1 or 2mm to make it fit in my current state). So for this I'm considering a better pump because I'll probably need a 2nd radiator.

B) If I go with an ST30 TOP radiator --> I was planning on trying the DC-LT solution. (Assuming it can handle the waterblock).

C) And if I go with 280mm top radiator. Maybe I end without space for a pump+reservoir, or a future front smaller radiator.

My other option was to get an "Alphacool Eissturm Gaming Copper 30 2x120mm" or "Alphacool Eissturm Gaming Copper 30 2x140mm" and pair it with the waterblock. Without using the CPU block. Would any of these option be enough?

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
To be honest.... i would not buy a Set. I checked the manual of the case. If the infos in the manual are correct, i would go with this parts.

2x 240mm NexXxoS V.2 (V.2 because of the flat screw plugs wich only this radiators have)
1x Eisstation for DDC pumps
1x Pump DDC310

Fittings and tubes like you want. I personally using only TPV 12,7/6,7 mm tubes and the TPV Nylon (not metal) fittings in all of my privat systems.

I am only not really sure if the Eisstation will fit under the top radiator. You have to measure it out. The ST30 radiator with a normal fan will need 55mm space. And the Eisstation is 89mm height. But you need a bit of space between Eisstation and the fan so.... better would be if you have 10cm space.

sebastian

Hi @Eddy. I'll follow your advice. The reason I was tempted about going with the DIY kit, is not just the amazing value for the money but also the availability of some parts when I try to buy them separately (e.g.: Eisstation availability).

From the platform on the right to the top frame (where I screw the top radiator). I have 17cm. In those 17cm I can fit the radiator + fan (5.5cm) and still have 11,5cm for the height of the reservoir + pump combo.
(I think I can also remove that platform and gain even more height).

fbIPamV.jpg

Anyway in those 11.5cm I could fit an Eisstation DDC and I think an Eistation VPP:

Eisstation DDC: Dimensions (LxWxH): 102 x 82 x 89mm --> so 26mm of space between Eisstation and top radiator fan.
Eisstation VPP: Dimensions (LxWxH): 102 x 82 x 105mm --> so 10mm of space between Eisstation and top radiator fan.

(Note: the cardboard should have the eisstation L and W dimensions).

So this should be fine, right? Even if I go with the Eisstation VPP755?

Thanks
Sebastian

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Yeah its horrible in the moment with our stock....... :(

Yes, seems like the VPP755 version will fit. But only if you are going with low rpm on the fans. 10mm space is not much for sucking in air for the fan. But with 2x 240mm radiators i dont think you will need more than 800rpm on all fans. Ok, you certainly won't reach temperatures to brag about, but I don't think that's the point.

How can you mount a 240mm radiator on the front? I cant see how that should work in the manual.

sebastian

I might go with VPP755 V3 then. Whatever I find first in stock :) (DDC or VPP). At least now I know that I can fit any Eisstation.
I like the control wheel of the VPP755 pump. In the VPP755 the energy consumption (watts) is much lower at lower speed, right?

Regarding a second radiator: I'd like to leave this for the future and start with a single 240mm radiator with just the RX 6800 (which is on fire at the moment because of the bad airflow. However, I bought this GPU with the idea of adding a custom loop for it).

I know that 1 person added two 280mm radiators in this same case (modding the front so he can fit a full 280mm radiator): https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/58k49u
But this person doesn't have the top 25cm fans like I'll have. This is why I prefer 240mm top radiator. So I can move the 240mm more to the left or to the right, and have some space either at the back or at the front. (I don't know if he has some fans hidden at the top of the radiator, but they should be very thin).

I think by default this case supports up to 27cm thick 240mm at the front (Maybe I can fit a 30cm radiator if I remove the metal platform OR if I mod/cut a bit the case).

I wouldn't mind mixing a 240mm front radiator with the 280mm fans I currently have (if that helps a little more).

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Thanks for the pic. Looks good. Think we have to talk here about such a small tube reservoir too for the future. Its not a bad idea what EK has done here.

We offer also the NexXxoS ST25 rads wich are 25,5mm thick..... but.... not on stock right now :cautious: Maybe its worth to use 120mm slim fans like this one: Clíck me

Everthing looks so thight.... i hope everything will fit.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
About the pump.... yes, but if the pump starts, it needs full power. Sorry, forgot to give you an answere here.

sebastian

Yes, a NexXxos ST25 should do the job as a front rad to improve the loop in the future.

About the reservoir in the photo. Well that looks at least 1cm taller than the Eisstation VPP. So for my case I prefer the Eisstation.

So this means that the VPP755 always consumes 14W~ or only when it starts? Is this the same case for the VPP665? 14W is not bad, but just asking to know because I'm between DDC and D5 now that I know the Eisstation could fit.

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
If it starts, you have a peak like with all pumps wich is a bit higher than 14W. If you run it on max = 14W. If you lower the speed, than you need less power.
For this case, i would prefere the DDC310 (its a slower version of the normal DDC-1T with less rpm and power cunsumption).