Question about flow rate

Elkmar

Hi all. Happy holidays!

I have updated my water loop: added flow meter, temperature sensor, quick couplings and 2-way ball valve (see scheme with parts in attachment, I use EK cryo fuel as coolant). And now I don't know my water loop is functioning properly or not: I set pwm about 60-70% for pump and flow indicator is rotating slow. If I set pwm less then 60% it stops. And motherboard not see RPM signal even if I set pwm to 100. I think that I have high restricted loop, but I don't sure, because I have vpp655 and it's strange that flow is less than 70 L/h. Where can I see flow rate decreasing for each of my water cooling parts? How can I understand where is problem?

Attachments

• 2021-01-02.png
    2021-01-02.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 23

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Elkmar

You have a small adjusting wheel on the underside of the pump with which you can set the pump strength. If you want to control it via PWM, this should be on level 5. Otherwise you can only control the speed in the respective step range.
1609612606771.png
Of course, each component in the circuit slows the flow rate somewhat. But this pump shouldn't have any problems because of that.

Did you check the cooling blocks during the renovation to see if they were clogged? This is the best way to slow down the flow rate. Do you have soft tubes or hard tubes in your system?

With soft tubes there may be a slight kink in the hose somewhere.

Best Regards

Elkmar

Hi, Luckystricker.

You made a little mistake with the model: you show non-PWM version, VPP655 PWM doesn't have a small adjusting wheel ( Alphacool VPP655 - PWM - Single Edition | Pumps | Shop | Alphacool - the cooling company ). Also I use soft tubes, but I have checked all loop and haven't seen any kinks.

Cooling blocks is not ideal clean (unfortunately I harried up and not clean them with disassembly, because I need PC for work) but I haven't seen many trash in the channels, so I did only one thing - flush loop with distilled water during 2 hours. And after renovation CPU and VGA temperatures are fine (about 70C for 7700K@5GHz (AVX -1) 1,35V in prime95 and about 50-55C for 2080 in modern video games like CP2077 or DOOM)

What do you advice me?

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Elkmar

Yes, you're right, I didn't know which model you have exactly.
You only installed the quick couplings before and after the GPU, right? So you could release the GPU from the system and switch it on once. Of course only briefly, if the flow has improved, that would mean that it is the GPU block.
If not, then only the CPU block would actually be left. The radiators, temperature sensors or flow indicators shouldn't really slow them down. Your temperatures fit quite nicely, the CPU is higher, but unfortunately I don't have a reference source for the 7700k, whether it can't be colder. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you anything about the exact speed settings via Pwm. So that nothing is displayed to you at 100% is strange, yes. But unfortunately I don't know why exactly.
But I'm trying to help you as best I can.

Best Regards

Elkmar

Thanks for advice! I think, that I will buy two more quick couplings for full modularity of the system and check where is problem. I hope that problem is trash in water blocks but who knows... Also, the last question: how can I clean up water blocks? Must I disassemble them? Or is it any "magic" mixture for flushing?

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Elkmar

You only have to consider that every quick coupling increases the resistance in the circuit a little. Normally, only distilled water is used to rinse the components, no tap water (can lead to algae infestation) or any cleaning agents (these can attack the copper or the nickel coating). If the flow is still so low after flushing, you will have to dismantle the cooling blocks. Since then the cooling fins are most likely clogged. With your GPU you should be able to see it nicely anyway, but since you cannot see it with the CPU block you will have to open it.

No problem for the questions.

Best Regards

Elkmar

Hm, so I have reconnected one of quick coupling and flow indicator have spun faster a little. Or maybe it's just imagine. Also I have found that water_flow header on Maximus Hero IX doesn't work with eisfluegel aurora flow meter, so I've changed header to cha_fan header. And I have seen 170-180RPM at max pump speed (it's about 120 L/h). I don't know it's normal or nor for my loop, I think that flow must be stronger, but it's hard to say without information about flow restriction of each element:(

Oh, also I have noticed that indicator sometimes stops spinning (yesterday it had not spun at pc start, today it has happened after my experiments with motherboard headers and it has stopped again when computer have already worked about 1 hour). And only when I squeeze tube after flow meter a few time it start working again. It's very strange! I don't know why it's happened. Also, when I swapped cable from one header to another and reconnect again quick coupling (before first issue with flow meter spinning today) I hear a strange sound as I think from front radiator, I don't know what is this (maybe air plug and it's affected on my loop?).

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Elkmar

The Aurora Eisflügel flow meter should be read out via a fan connection. If there are noises in the front radiator again and again, it may well be possible that there is still air in it.
Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly how much the "normal" flow rate is for a circuit of your size. I have the VPP755 at level 2 (140L / h) with CPU / GPU block, 2 reservoirs and 2 420 / 45mm radiators, I have a nice movement in the reservoir, but how much L / h it still pumps I cannot myself say.

Right now I'm overwhelmed. :unsure:

Best Regards

Elkmar

And here me againo_O
Yesterday I decided to reconnect fans (1st header for top fan, 2nd - for middle and etc.) and found this air pocket (See photo, it present only when pc is off). I think it's one of the main reasons of my problem. How can I will push this air without case rotating (unfortunately, it's very-very heavy)? I have tried to squeeze tube after radiator, some air has gone, but not all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 13

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Elkmar

Your pump is now running at 100%, right?
That can be a reason.
Since the air bubble sits in the 420 x 45 radiator, you will unfortunately have to put the PC to one side so that the air goes out. I guess that's the hose that comes from the CPU cooler, right.
Since the air basically has to be pushed down first, but the flow rate is currently too low, it simply rises again.
Which is heavy, my PC weighs 35 kg (77 lbs). That shouldn't mean angry now. ?

No problem, anytime. Best Regards

Elkmar

Pump is running at about 70-75%. And yes, this tube from the cpu block.

I think, I wait until quick couplings will arrive (I've already buy it) and after that I will try to fix my problems.

Many thanks!

PS: I think my pc is also about 30-35 kg. Strix Helios is very heavy case:rolleyes:

Elkmar

So, I have found time and finally have tested my loop without gpu waterblock (changed it to x2 90° fittings+female part of quick coupling+piece of hose). And flow rate has not increased, it's strange. I think that's because of the trash in the cpu block or radiators. Am I right?