Supplied thermal pads too small for KFA2/GALAX RTX 4090 SG-1 + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl (13429)

Saganaki

Hey there!

When I fully fitted the alpha cool 13429 (as recommended by hwconfig) I noticed there was a .6-.8mm gap between the VRMs. The rest was fine (memory/cpu).

I’ve temporarily placed some spare pads I had (not satisfied I placed 2 pads together to bridge the gap) as the 1mm +1mm would be too thick. I also placed some squishy blue 1.5mm (Sabrent m.2 nvme thermals pads) between the 4 VRMs not covered on your instructions (closer to the gpu) to be sure of contact afterwords.

There may have been a revision change done to the KFA2/GALAX RTX 4090 SG-1

Could you please advise which thermal pads I should use, the ones I was looking at (gelid 120x120x1.5) is already £42 .

Kind regards

Bish

(I’ve posted a resized image of the gpu, your site couldn’t handle the larger high res picture)

Attachments

• IMG_4121.jpeg
    IMG_4121.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4126.jpeg
    IMG_4126.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Saganaki

Hi Marc

I also received that answer from your technical support today.

However I fail to see the logic of removing active cooling on the mosfets in order to remove potential coil whine vs the the longentivity of the mosfets especially when overclocking is concerned.

With the current design of your cooler, it hardly allows decent airflow to reach those parts (also makes the reason why I went water cooling in the first place moot)

All your previous products and even your current competitors are cooling the mosfets (including the stock cooler that came with my gpu) which can reach over 100c (thus throttling performance)

There’s been a special highlight on cooling VRMs needed by both gamers nexus and debauer.

also shows what happens if you don’t keep your VRMs in check.

If this is truly Alphacools take on VRMs with your revision of the manual taking out VRM cooling out entirely. I strongly urge you and your thermal engineering team to reconsider. I’m already noticing less performance when I used the OC mode on my gpu with the removal of the pads I had placed there.

kind regards

Bish

Marc-eting

Marc the Marc-eting Guy
Staff member
Hi,
our support has already answered everything via email :)
The things you are complaining about are not VRAMs. The VRAM is cooled normally with the cooler.

Marc✌️