Universal GPU block

Ionut

I have a question & request regarding the Alphacool HF 14 Smart Motion universal block ( https://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-...smart-motion-universal-copper-edition?c=20593 ): in description / technical specifications is stated that it support a flow of up to 5 l / min, which translate into 300 l / hour.
My pump (Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755) can put out about 340 l / hour at maximum speed - step 5, and 320 l / hour at step 4. I'm currently using it at step 3 (280 l / hour).
If the block is limited at 300 l / hour, it makes no sense to run the pump at maximum speed, right? Not even at step 4 (320 l / hour), since this will only create a heavy resistance to the pump. So my question (and request) for Alphacool is this: can I replace the cooling plate with a (homemade) plate that allows more flow? I haven't dismantled the block yet, so can you please send me a picture (or drawing) of the cooling plate, so I can determine if I can actualy make a new one?
Thank you for your support!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The flow rate is only a theoretical value that is never achieved in practice. In practice, flow rates of 40-160L/h are achieved. Mostly even only 60-80L/h.
Every cooler, every connection, every bent hose reduces the flow.

Ionut

So, in practice....my pump is not putting up 340 l / h ? :p
Anyway, the GPU block is feeded directly by the pump; there are only two fittings (and the tube, of cource) between them. I would feel much better if I could find a way to increase the flow rate of the block; I can do that either by enlarging the block's flow surface (grind a little from the top & cold plate) or by making a new cold plate, if it's possible. If the original cold plate is a simple, flat cooper plate, then I can do that. This is why I've requested a picture / drawing of the plate.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The cooler generates a high resistance, you will never even reach the 340 l/h. But the flow rate hardly plays a role. From 40L/h you have almost the maximum performance. 120L/h and more hardly bring any additional performance with modern coolers. A high flow rate is now completely pointless.

Ionut

I know that, I just wanted to make sure that I can use my pump at maximum settings (mostly for pressure concerns, I have a pretty restrictive loop). At step 3 (currently), the pump is rated for 2.2 m head pressure. At step 5 (max), is 4.25 m.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ah.... sure you can. No problem. That info in the description is very very old... not sure why we wrote this. There is no real reason to write that into a description because that is nonsense.