Odd particulates floating in top of pump reservior

genfoch01

I set up this loop about 3 months ago. I noticed there appeared to be a white particulates floating on the top of the reservoir. The coolant does not look cloudy it just has something that seems to be floating on top.

when I set up the loop I previously flushed the radiator overnight with distilled water. When I put the loop together I also ran it for a couple of days with distilled water. Then I flushed it out and filled it with Alphacool Eiswasser - Premixed Coolant - Crystal Blue - UV Reactive.

Looking over the forums, I have seen this issue described as being plasticine leaching from the soft tubing in the loop. I used XSPC FLX tubing that is plasticine free and its only on the surface of the reservoir so I don't think this is the problem.

all the parts are copper ( radiator, water block ).

does anyone have an idea of what this might be? This is my first water cooling build so I don't have a lot of experience to draw on.

thanks for your time,
GF

Attachments

• resevior_particulates.png
    resevior_particulates.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 2

SteinerSE

Does the res have that anti vortex foamy/mess kinda pad at the bottom?
I had one of those and then changed coolant. After a while I noticed foam at the top of the res and crud in the loop, dipping my fingers in the foam it looked like tiny strands. Picking the res apart that foam pad was brittle and disintegrated at the touch, seems it had been dissolving into the loop.

SteinerSE

Yeah, what I'm talking about looks like this. Removing what remained helped my loop, but clearly isn't your issue.

1580191167-3831109817179-thb2.jpg

genfoch01

I have not seen a change in the water temps. I am using a cosair XC7 (ref: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...GB-CPU-Water-Block-(115X-AM4)/p/CX-9010004-WW)

the fins look clean to me. I tried to get a picture but I can't get one that shows it clearly.

I had planned to run this for a year before doing a flush and refill. Is that a reasonable expectation with the Alphacool Eiswasser (above) that I am using ? also, this machine is always on. I only turn it off if I'm going on a trip somewhere. (not sure if it makes a difference or not )