What is this stuff in my CPU block?

Zoltan

Hi Guys!

In the last year I started to build a custom water loop for my PC. (This is my first time)

Here is my system specs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GlFxIpayBNK8FPOGMhgZaHsocx2I0AAjlsQVO9qrDzc/edit?usp=sharing

Current only these are connected: (I will do the GPU water cooling in the next few weeks)
CPU block : Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora PRO - Acryl Black Digital RGB
Liquid for cooling : Alphacool Apex Liquid ECO 1000ml clear
Liquid for cleaning : Alphacool Core Loop Cleaning 100ml
Radiator : Alphacool NexXxoS HPE-30 Full Copper 420mm Radiator

And it's about 10 months old. I started to notice some 'spider web'-like stuff in my system. I flushed the system with 'Alphacool Core Loop Cleaning 100ml' for about 30 minutes, then with distilled water for a few hours. The 'spider web'-like stuff is still there. Also, I noticed that the water is brown. (I think this is caused by the copper oxidation.)

My question is, what is that stuff? I think I will disassemble the CPU block and then clean it, but what is it?

Here are some pictures:

Here is a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ci3M8FJMY4LmKyP473EbHGwq8VLCwDi-/view?usp=sharing

Best regards,
Zoltán

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_130408.jpg
    IMG_20240329_130408.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240324_183229.jpg
    IMG_20240324_183229.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Zoltan

Hi,

when cleaning a system, especially with your Core Loop cleaning kit, you have to dismantle the CPU and GPU coolers to remove the dirt in your system. THe core Loop cleaning Kit will only losen the algae, bacteria and deposits in your system.
Thank you for your reply!

I will definitely clean it after this. I just simply don't know what is that stuff. Maybe algae or the propylene glycol is reacting to the cooper or who knows.... :/
I simply can't find this out :S

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Are you using clear tubes? If so, it could also be plasticizers that are flushed out of the hose over time. But this should not happen so quickly. Unless the system runs under load for several hours every day.

Zoltan

Are you using clear tubes? If so, it could also be plasticizers that are flushed out of the hose over time. But this should not happen so quickly. Unless the system runs under load for several hours every day.
Yes I'm using clear tubes:
I every day play "Dota 2" at night a few hours. After maybe 8-10 months I started to see this spider-web like stuff.
My processor is Intel Core i9-13900K

Maybe I will change my tube to this: Alphacool EPDM Tube 13/10 - Black 3m (9,84ft) Retailbox

Also ty for your reply :)

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
EPDM or TPV are always better tubes. But to be honest.... that "could" be the problem... i dont say, it "is" the problem. Because normally it doesn't look so bad. Normally you would just see a few very fine threads in the system.