Alphacool RTX 4080 backplate

harz62

Hello,

I currently build a new configuration in mini itx case:

Case : Corsair 2000D tower
Motherboard : Asus strix Z790-I
Graphics card: Asus TUF RTX 4080 (waterblock: alphacool aurora strix).

Now the problem. I only have a slighty space between the PCB and the base VRM radiator with the motherboard. The backplate provided in the alphacool RTX is too thick for putting the graphics card in the case. I provided 2 photos of this problem (RTX is installed with alphacool waterblock but WITHOUT alphacool backplate)

So my really questions are : Can I use my GPU without backplate ? What are the drawbacks of missing backplate ? I need to create a custom backplate ?

Note: the stock baseplate provided by asus seems to work (it use 0.5 mm thermal pad with 2mm of tickness).

Thank you.

Attachments

• backplate2.jpg
    backplate2.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 4
  • bakplate3.jpg
    bakplate3.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 5

astaaa

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, you can use the cooler without the backplate. However, we do not recommend this as some cooling capacity will be lost as the contact pressure is not what we expect for optimum cooling performance.

harz62

Thank you for you answer. Cooling gain lost is significally without the backplate ?

I will build a custom backplate for solve this issue. Can you provide the backplate schema for aurora asus strix RTX 4080 please ? (optional because I have the backplate I ask just for avoid measurement errors)

Thank you.

astaaa

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, which cooler do you have exactly? Please send us the name and item number so that we can take care of it as quickly as possible.