30mm screws are too long [UT60 series]?

WildPenguin

Hi!

I bought an UT60 crossflow 480mm radiator, planning to run it in a push-pull configuration with 25mm (i.e. regular) fans - more specifically, they are Noctua Redux line, which indeed is exactly 25mm thick.

The provided 30mm are still (nearly?) too long. The will lean hard on the protective plate over the core channels, if I screw them in completely, so much that I'm not comfortable using them. They do that despite the fact I'm using NA-SAVP1 pads which will add a bit of thickness to the fans, but now it seems they don't do it by force. At least with the pads, they are usable.

So it seems like the 30mm screws will be appropriate for mounting the radiator to the case trough the fans, and the 35mm screws would be appropriate for ... a 33mm thick fan? In any case, seems like the radiator does not come with enough screws to install it in a push-pull configuration with 25mm thick fans, and the 35mm fans will be useless (even with case + anti-vibration esthetic pads, they will be way too long).

(I can not use the shortests crews as the noctua fans have structural struds which prevent using a screw with a wide cap in the middle section).

Can someone from AlphaCool confirm I can use Noctua fans on this with the provided shorter screws, despite the fact that they are leaning on the plate? I should point out I'm aware alphacool can not test with all fans out there and that their geometries can vary, as they point out with the provided warning, but this is a very common brand of fans, I've measured them and they indeed are exactly 25mm thick, which is the standard (and there is no indentation for the screwcap in these fans).

Also, consider this a feedback. The shorter screws should be shorter, and their amount should be doubled on the thickest radiators. Many users will want to run a thick radiator as push+pull for reduced noise.

Last edited:

WildPenguin

I've actually double-checked and the area around the screhole on the Redux line actually is a bit indented compared to the surface of the fan. So that might explain why the screws "lean" on the protective plate if screwed in properly, as the thickness of the fan is actually less than 25mm, if measured from the screwhole "base".

The 30mm screws are probably just about the right length, although on the upper limit of it, for a fan which is exactly 25mm thick, mounted directly on the radiator.

Last edited: