4x 3090s Watercooled - how?

BTCOFiend

I have 2 MSI Gaming X Trio 3090s and 2 Gigabyte Gaming OC 3090s. I would like to install all 4 on a Zenith Extreme Motherboard and watercool them. I need to especially keep the backside VRAM cool.

Will I be able watercool 2 different types of cards in the same loop?

Will the Alphacool solutions for either of these cards fit in 2 slots and still keep the VRAM cool? Will I need to add thermal tape to the backside or does Alphacool actively cool the back side VRaM?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I have never built a loop before.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi, enclosed is the answer to your questions:
Will I be able watercool 2 different types of cards in the same loop?
-> yes, its possible
Will the Alphacool solutions for either of these cards fit in 2 slots and still keep the VRAM cool? Will I need to add thermal tape to the backside or does Alphacool actively cool the back side VRaM?
-> You don't have to buy extra heat conducting pads. They are included in the scope of delivery of the GPU cooler. However, the backplates of the Eisblock coolers only cool passively! For this purpose, you can now also use our active backplates. But you have to buy these separately.

Enclosed are the required GPU coolers & the corresponding active backplates:

BTCOFiend

Hi, enclosed is the answer to your questions:

-> yes, its possible

-> You don't have to buy extra heat conducting pads. They are included in the scope of delivery of the GPU cooler. However, the backplates of the Eisblock coolers only cool passively! For this purpose, you can now also use our active backplates. But you have to buy these separately.

Enclosed are the required GPU coolers & the corresponding active backplates:

Hi, Thank you for the response. Regarding the new active backplate: would it take up too much space to fit multiple cards side-by-side? Essentially, I want to put 4 GPUs in a total of 8 slots. It looks like the active backplate would encroach on the slot behind it.

BTCOFiend

Hi, Thank you for the response. Regarding the new active backplate: would it take up too much space to fit multiple cards side-by-side? Essentially, I want to put 4 GPUs in a total of 8 slots. It looks like the active backplate would encroach on the slot behind it.
I looked into the specifications and it would appear that on each card there would be 1.8mm to 2.3mm of space between cards if I installed the active backplate. Is that enough space?
Also, the Suprim X cooler is much taller than the Gaming/Eagle cooler. Will there be a problem with the hoses connecting from the two different cards?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
It's going to be very tight. In addition, you can only connect the active backplates via the MCX adapter with the 5/3mm hoses. For this to work, however, you will have to generate a high flow rate. This means that with your system you will need two powerful pumps in any case. VPP655/755 or a DDC 1T+, otherwise the active backplates with the parallel connection will not work properly. Because you cant use the G1/4 connections for a normal flow. The circuit is far too restrictive for one pump.

When using different graphics cards, there is also the fact that the terminals are not at the same height. You already have a problem when you want to connect them together. If you're unlucky, it won't work at all.

Normally, our customers use pure reference cards with enterprise coolers on real professional mainboards for such setups and not normal end-customer solutions. Because, to be honest, that's pretty impractical.

BTCOFiend

It's going to be very tight. In addition, you can only connect the active backplates via the MCX adapter with the 5/3mm hoses. For this to work, however, you will have to generate a high flow rate. This means that with your system you will need two powerful pumps in any case. VPP655/755 or a DDC 1T+, otherwise the active backplates with the parallel connection will not work properly. Because you cant use the G1/4 connections for a normal flow. The circuit is far too restrictive for one pump.

When using different graphics cards, there is also the fact that the terminals are not at the same height. You already have a problem when you want to connect them together. If you're unlucky, it won't work at all.

Normally, our customers use pure reference cards with enterprise coolers on real professional mainboards for such setups and not normal end-customer solutions. Because, to be honest, that's pretty impractical.
I am not sure I understand. To make this simpler, let us rule out 2 different cards. Let us go only with 4 Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090.

So if I use 4 of this same card, do I still need 2 pumps if I use the active backplates? If I just do passive cooling, would 1 pump be sufficient?
Also, what is an MCX adapter? Do I need one if I just go with 4 of the same card?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Then you will see two possibilities for connecting the coolers to the circuit. One via the G1/4" connections on the top and one via 5/3mm hoses. You cannot use the G1/4° connections with your setup. You would need more space between the GPUs. Therefore, you can only use the 5/3mm hoses.
For this you need the MCX adapter:

Shop Link MCX

However, the water runs through the cooler parallel to the rest of the loop. However, this only works with a good flow. With 4 coolers, radiators and several MCX adapters, one pump will hardly provide a flow. Therefore, I would generally recommend two pumps here. Otherwise, the cooling performance will not be very good because the water moves too slowly.
Regarding the terminal with different cards. The side with the connections are close together with 4 cards. Normally, you make a direct connection. But with different cards, the terminal of one card is not flush with the other card. Therefore, it is difficult to connect them. You might have to work with a stupid angle. Alternatively, you can use other terminals that give you more space and room to manoeuvre, such as the following terminal. With this, you can work directly with angle pieces and it is then easier.

Regarding the terminal with different cards. The side with the connections are close together with 4 cards. Normally, you make a direct connection. But with different cards, the terminal of one card is not flush with the other card. Therefore, it is difficult to connect them. You might have to work with a stupid angle. Alternatively, you can use other terminals that give you more space and room to manoeuvre, such as the following terminal. With this, you can work directly with angle pieces and it is then easier.

Sorry that i cant show you some pics, hard to find some for such a construction.

BTCOFiend

Then you will see two possibilities for connecting the coolers to the circuit. One via the G1/4" connections on the top and one via 5/3mm hoses. You cannot use the G1/4° connections with your setup. You would need more space between the GPUs. Therefore, you can only use the 5/3mm hoses.
For this you need the MCX adapter:

Shop Link MCX

However, the water runs through the cooler parallel to the rest of the loop. However, this only works with a good flow. With 4 coolers, radiators and several MCX adapters, one pump will hardly provide a flow. Therefore, I would generally recommend two pumps here. Otherwise, the cooling performance will not be very good because the water moves too slowly.

Sorry that i cant show you some pics, hard to find some for such a construction.
Hi, thank you for the response. However, I have given up on the plan to watercool 2 different types of cards in the same computer. I have decided that I will use 4 Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090.
I see from the dimensions, I could conceivably fit all 4 in 8 slots, even with active backplate cooling.
If this is the case, do I still need to use 5/3mm hoses?
Will I still need 2 pumps for the 4 cards?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
If you want to use the active BAckplate with 4 coolers, you will have to use the 5/3mm hoses. Otherwise, there is not enough space to use the G1/4" connections on the cooler. And yes, you will definitely need 2 pumps. 4 GPU coolers are extremely restrictive, especially if you have to use active backplates with parallel flow.