7900xtx temp issue ?

slader

hi,

I currently have a 7900xtx running with a alphacool waterblok on its own custom loop with a 280mm full copper rad.
The general temp of the GPU seems to idle around 33 and under full load it will reach around 50, so far so good.

The issue I am having is that sometimes the card crashes to a black screen and will not be recognized again until I reset all the drivers. In searching what this could be, I found that hwmonitor has a temp sensor on the GPU called hotspot. This will max up into the 90's.

Before I take appart the card and reseat everything on nothing but luck. Does anybody know where this hotspot temp comes from on the board ?
Or does anybody have any other idea's for blank screens ?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

this sounds like that the water block is not mounted correctly. Please mount the water block as shown in the manual and make sure that every screw has the same torgue to avoid a bend PCB. THe Hotspot Sensors are sitting directly on the GPU DIE.

slader

Thank you for the information so far, that confirms my suspicions that I will have to remount.
I did try to torque every screw the same amount, but only by feel because the manual does not show any torque numbers. Since you mentioned it, do you by any chance have any torque numbers to spec too ?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

we are recommending to tighten the screws handtight. This should be around 1-1,5nm

slader

Hi,

Vanzin. I just tested, 1nm is to much for the bolts, the Philips heads can't handle that spec, are you sure about this?

slader

@Vanzin, I remounted with 0.4nm on all bolts since I was unable to get any more on them without destroying the bolts.

This did however give me a big bow in the pcb, even worse with this spec I now have issues where the card stops working when I put any load on it. The screen simply turns off, windows sees the card as failing hardware and in the logs I see a "amddriver timedout" error. The temps are still very low (like 50c) when the card failes so it's not a temperature issue.

What should I do with this?