AGB ES Reservoir 1U questions

Archaic0

I purchased an Alphacool AGB ES Reservoir 1U - DDC Pump Top Version and had a lot of trouble finding a pump to go with it. I finally found an Alphacool 13178 Laing DDC310 - Single Edition but I'm not convinced this is the right pump.

This is for a 1U project, so everything has to be under 40mm in height and the pump I have is too tall only because of the cooling fins. In addition to that though, it is fairly loud. The noise is water noise though, not electronic or metallic sounds. Last issue is that I found a spec sheet on the alphacool site and if I'm reading this right, this pump isn't supposed to be mounted with the cooling fins on top and the circular part of the pump on the bottom.

(Update: The water noise has mostly gone away. I think that was from a bunch of micro bubbles in the loop. As those have floated out, the pump has gotten much quieter. Still don’t think this pump is supposed to be mounted upside down.)

The product picture for the reservoir has a note of: Montagebeispiel (example of installation), but I do not know what that means.

Searching for "DDC pump" only finds that one Laing pump that I purchased. If this is not the right pump to use however, then where can I find the right pump for this 1U reservoir?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Archaic0

I found what appears to be the pump used in the reservoir product pictures as an example installation.

Alphacool ES Laing DDC310 Pump - Single black plastic bottom

It is still unclear to me if this pump has different mounting allowances as I cannot find a data sheet for the plastic bottom version that includes acceptable mounting orientations. I have found one YouTube video where a person used this reservoir and pump combo in a desk PC (LTT Desk PC project), but one person using it this way isn't a lot of support for it being acceptable.

If this is the 'winning combination', I still have concerns as the plastic version of the pump seems to be very hard to find and seemingly replaced by the metal version and with the seemingly different mounting allowances, I'm left with a problem for 'future me' when these pumps fail. If there are no pumps left on the market that allow for mounting upside down, then this 1U reservoir is not a permanent solution and I'll be on the hunt for a new 1U res/pump solution again at some point in the future.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I purchased an Alphacool AGB ES Reservoir 1U - DDC Pump Top Version and had a lot of trouble finding a pump to go with it. I finally found an Alphacool 13178 Laing DDC310 - Single Edition but I'm not convinced this is the right pump.

This is for a 1U project, so everything has to be under 40mm in height and the pump I have is too tall only because of the cooling fins. In addition to that though, it is fairly loud. The noise is water noise though, not electronic or metallic sounds. Last issue is that I found a spec sheet on the alphacool site and if I'm reading this right, this pump isn't supposed to be mounted with the cooling fins on top and the circular part of the pump on the bottom.

(Update: The water noise has mostly gone away. I think that was from a bunch of micro bubbles in the loop. As those have floated out, the pump has gotten much quieter. Still don’t think this pump is supposed to be mounted upside down.)

The product picture for the reservoir has a note of: Montagebeispiel (example of installation), but I do not know what that means.

Searching for "DDC pump" only finds that one Laing pump that I purchased. If this is not the right pump to use however, then where can I find the right pump for this 1U reservoir?

Thanks in advance!
The pump you bought fits the reservoir. I have looked at the manual of the reservoir & everything is fine so far. Please install the pump on the reservoir in the same way. When refilling the water circuit, it is possible that bubbles collect here and there. This should actually also happen in the reservoir. If you have now operated the system for a longer period of time, the bubbles will probably have dispersed and the noise will be gone.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I found what appears to be the pump used in the reservoir product pictures as an example installation.

Alphacool ES Laing DDC310 Pump - Single black plastic bottom

It is still unclear to me if this pump has different mounting allowances as I cannot find a data sheet for the plastic bottom version that includes acceptable mounting orientations. I have found one YouTube video where a person used this reservoir and pump combo in a desk PC (LTT Desk PC project), but one person using it this way isn't a lot of support for it being acceptable.

If this is the 'winning combination', I still have concerns as the plastic version of the pump seems to be very hard to find and seemingly replaced by the metal version and with the seemingly different mounting allowances, I'm left with a problem for 'future me' when these pumps fail. If there are no pumps left on the market that allow for mounting upside down, then this 1U reservoir is not a permanent solution and I'll be on the hunt for a new 1U res/pump solution again at some point in the future.
Ultimately, the focus here is on the design (DDC). This will of course be improved from time to time, but it will not disappear from the market and in the worst case you will always get a new pump for the reservoir.

Archaic0

Thank you for the reply. I have some other confirmations now as well that this pump should work and that the datasheet that states it cannot be run upside down is no longer correct. However, THIS particular model cannot work as it does not fit in a 1U enclosure. The cooling fins on the metal case make it too tall by about 5mm. I will switch to the plastic version once that one arrives and return the metal version.

I have now also found the DC-LT options that work in a 1U enclosure, although the flow rate is quite low. Hopefully I don't have to go to the DC-LT stuff.