Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3090/3080

Vincette

Hello,

I bought this block for my future Zotac Trinity 3080.

But, I have some doubts about it because it don't seems to be covering all components on the card specially when we look the installation tutorial or when I compared to EK version.

What do you think about it ?

Thanks.

Vincette

Thanks for your reply.

I think with this 3 parts design some components of the supply power are not cooled, the 13 phase GPU VRM if I'm not saying mistake

But I found an answer in a youtube video :

comment by alphacool member : "Nice Video. But the part about cost saving is just not true. The material costs savings are insignificant. This three part design has two advantages: a wider range of graphics card compatibility and not heating up the copper by components that don't need a lot of cooling. "

I hope the not covered components will not overheat during heavy games.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
If you check the backside of other coolers you will see that they cover nothing more than we are doing it. ;) A continuous copper block does not mean that all components are cooled. This is not possible at all for technical design reasons alone, because components have tolerances. In order to compensate for these, heat conducting pads are used. If there are no heat conducting pads on the block, there is no connection to the cooler and therefore no cooling by the cooler.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
They put only thermal pads on the coils wich dont need any cooling. This is only done to suppress the vibrations known as humming. But if you look on the internet, it has the effect that some graphic cards rather increase the buzzing. I can't really understand that, because that should not happen. That is, I don't see it as an error on the part of EK but rather on the part of the graphics cards themselves. Its a bit strange.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Sorry, translation fault... i was talking about the capacitors not the coils.

Eyeless

Sorry, translation fault... i was talking about the capacitors not the coils.
Ok, so the Strix and reference cards dont need pads on the coils but the rest of your lineup do? Just dont want to make a bad purchase decision for my 3090 strix.

Last edited:

Falim

For the Founders edition block, does it come with a 1 or 2 slot io bracket to replace the 3 slot that comes with it?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We dont have a bracket, so you have to use the original 3-slot one for the RTX 3090 FE.

_BDYB_

Well, it's two years later, but I still want to understand something.
No one cares about coils, but they are getting hot, and they are next to capacitors which really don't like high temperatures. For every 10C they halve life expectancy. I can't imagine airflow over those capacitors with the block installed.
So there is a reason to cool the coils/chokes to make sure capacitors have longer and cooler life. At least me is a lazy person that after investing that much time and money, likes to keep things running for few years.
Have you guys performed a testing and can assure that capacitors do not get uncomfortably hot?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We adhere to the manufacturer's specifications here and have also tested this. The coils hardly heat up and remain far below the maximum specifications. It is not necessary to actively cool them. I am not aware of any failure of a card where the lifetime of the coils played a role. Mostly, various conductors on the board are broken first, the memory or the voltage converters.