Components for 3d printer watercooling with 4/2.5 and 6/4 tubing, aluminium blocks, 450TDP

lukas_za

Hello guys,

looking for advices to optimize watercooling build for 3d printer and choose rigth components.

Setting:
-> 500wats TDP max
-> Aluminium cooling blocks on components
-> M5 and M6 threads on aluminium blocks = fittings only for 4/2.5 and 6/4 mm tubing (OD/ID) (one moving component (printihead) needs to stay on 4/2.5 tubing due to moving restrictions and weigth)
-> length of tubing max 10meters (7 components around the machine)
-> difference between highest and lowest point on machine is 0.5m
-> No hard space restrictions for radiator and pump (but more compact and visually pleasing solution is preffered)
-> prefered silent (low/no vibration operation)

Concerns:
-> choosing rigth pump for length of the loop and tubing diametters
-> choosing big enough radiator for the TDP (aluminium one due to alu blocks on components)
-> topogy of the cooling (atleast two loops ? - one for 4/2.5 tubing and one for 6/4 tubing)

So far I was thinking about:
Radiator: Alphacool ES Aluminium 360 mm T27
Fans: Yate Loon D12SH-12 with plug (2200rpm) ( 120x120x25mm )
Pump: ??
Topology: two loops

Thanks for ideas!!

PS: Some alphacool water pumps have this statement in description "Please use only in conjunction with clear transparent water cooling fluids. The particles and additives in Pastel liquids can clog and permanently damage water cooling products such as radiators, pumps, coolers and hoses.". I cant use any color premixed collants with this items or it is some special kind of colored coolants liquids and apply only for "pastels ones"?

xitywampas

1 D5 pump should be all you need unless you are doing discrete loops. If you are cooling multiple components you don't need multiple loops. Just run it in series and you'll be fine and save some money and headaches. I'd recommend staying away from dyes just to be safe. I use Mystic Fog in my rig for the RGB effect but I accept the risk of clogs and higher maintenance involved. That rad should work fine for 500 watts. Those fans should be fine also.
Edit: Just use this coolant for the best performance and longevity of the loop.

lukas_za

1 D5 pump should be all you need unless you are doing discrete loops. If you are cooling multiple components you don't need multiple loops. Just run it in series and you'll be fine and save some money and headaches. I'd recommend staying away from dyes just to be safe. I use Mystic Fog in my rig for the RGB effect but I accept the risk of clogs and higher maintenance involved. That rad should work fine for 500 watts. Those fans should be fine also.
Edit: Just use this coolant for the best performance and longevity of the loop.
So I did as you said, Alphacool VPP655PWM pump, one loop. I even changed blue colored coolant for clear one. And here we have happy new water cooling guy in the world :). Thanks!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Clear coloured liquids are actually unproblematic. But they colour all the components. Cleaning this is no fun. Pastel colours should always be avoided. These are pure show liquids that tend to completely block the fine cooling fins.