core 1 cpu waterblock not making good contact

sirbaili

Hello everybody. New to the forum.
Just purchased and installed core 1 cpu waterblock on amd 5950x.
Temperatures that I am getting are worse than my previous waterblock from bykski.
When I took it off it was not making good contact with cpu.
My question is: thread's that go into stock backplate should be inserted by a shorter end or by a long end.
Thank you.

Krasseknar

I guess you just have to remount it, paying extra attention to an even distribution of clamping force, as well as the right torque (too tight is just as bad as too loose).
This is the most common cause of the improper contact. It happens to the best of us.

The manual looks rather clear to me, I don't see difference in length of the threads:

https://download.alphacool.com/manual/13443_Alphacool_Core_1_Black_Manual.pdf

The Core 1 came out pretty good in the tests compared to the competition so it should for sure yield better temps than a Bykski block which has a rather coarse finstack (I know, because I'm using a Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2 block on a 5900X).
I'm also considering to upgrade to a Alphacool Core-1 block, so let us know if you could fix it and the temps are ok.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

you can only screw in one side of the stand offs. Did you tighten the nut completely. The nut has to be secured very tightly and I would recommend to use a screw driver to tighten it. IF that doesn´t help. can you please measure the stand off part. Also the part in the middle of the 2 threads.