Eisbaer 120mm or Eisbaer 140mm

zalanreilly

Hello,
I'm almost set on buying an Alphacool AIO product to replace my BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP but cannot determine if the 120mm or 140mm will be best. My Fractal Design Core 500 case has space for up to 140mm unit in the top or rear (I have an ODD fitted so this precludes use of a larger radiator). Being such a small case, I see an AIO cooler as the ideal solution to extract the heat directly out the chassis rather than turbulently distribute it about the case.
reverse image search email checker port checker
There are no reviews out there for the Eisbare 140mm cooler, though plenty of promo material launching the Eisbaer 420mm which evidently is loosely associated with the 140mm model. Is it better (from a cooling/quietness perspective) to go for the 140mm unit (@30mm thick) or the 120mm unit (@45mm). I might assume the 140mm given the fans are slower but is there any way to have these fans variable speed (DC rather or PWM) or must they be fixed 140mm @1000rpm / 120mm @ 1500rpm. This type of question would be non-existant if only manufacturers would publish TDP specs at nominal ambient temperature, 100% fan speed, 100% pump speed.

Some of the competing products in the same market space (notably Corsair H80i or NZXT M42 and X42) feature PWM fans as standard which seems like a better selling point. Perhaps I am needlessly worrying that the supplied Silent Wings 2 Fans at full rated speed aren't actually loud? (Once pushing air turbulently though the radiator fins)

Is the pump speed also fixed? Are the currently stocked Eisbaer 120mm or 140mm models AM4 mountable out of the box or will I need to purchase a separate mounting kit too?

I will be using it with Ryzen 2600x and ASUS Strix B450-I and a 140mm PWM fan sucking air into the case and down onto the motherboard - I hope it too will cool the RAM, nVME and VRM gear. If not, I'll mount an extra. The GFX card is really conveniently mount tight to the side of the chassis but here the case is perforated so hot air goes straight to the outside world.

Nozzle
Yoou need to try it out i am affraid. With a second radiator and push / pull method i would say roughly 20 up to 30 % more perfomance you should get.

Last edited: