Eisbaer Block vs Eisblock XPX

Cayan

Hi all. Since I add the D5 Pump on my Eiswolf/Eisbaer loop, the temperature drops on the GPU are tremendous.
My 3090, in a 32C summer in Spain, in +190mhz overclock wont pass 58C in temps. Thats insane!

But I notice no difference on CPU temps. Its not bad, for a 5950X be on 75C on Package temps on 100% load on the summer is pretty decent... But Its quite the same than it was before, without the D5. I didn't see a drastic drop like the GPU.
Im sure these units heat up in a different way, so this is why the question:

I was thinking on replace the Eisbaer Block with the Eisblock XPX to see if I can improve CPU temps too... so

Please consider that the Eisblock is currently off, acting like a CPU block, I tested on and off in the loop, and the temps wont change since the D5 overpower the Eisblock anyways.

1 - Do you think a proper block like XPX will benefit better from the Pump power than the Eisbaer block?
2 - Can I expect better temps if I replace the blocks?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi,
1 - Do you think a proper block like XPX will benefit better from the Pump power than the Eisbaer block?
Sure it will but not that much.

2 - Can I expect better temps if I replace the blocks?
Maybe a couple of degrees but it is also a question of your environment. How big is the radiator how many fans do you use in the system or how fast do they run or your room temperature etc.

bmartin

I'n not the originator of the thread but also use a Ryzen 5950X with an Eisbaer in a loop with two Eiswolf 2 AIO on two Radeon 6900X. And I have the same issue with temps, currently still with the built-in pumps. As of radiators, I have the two 360 radiators from the Eiswolf 2 AIOs plus an additional 280 radiator obtained separately, all installed.

The GPUs run at ~75°C when at full throttle, not ideal but OK. But the CPU reaches 90°C and thus throttles when running at full capacity. It gets a bit better when I run both the CPU and both GPUs in a single loop, however this causes the GPUs to exceed 80°C at times as well.

Since I noticed that the outflow from the CPU block is noticeably warmer that the inflow, I reasoned that the cooling of the fluid by the radiator is not the issue. So it should be the speed of the water flow. And seeing that the built-in pumps manage a meager 75l/h while separate pumps easily manage 420l/h (Laing) or even 1500l/h (D5s) I thought this would be my next cause of action. Until I found this thread :)

So my question is: with 360 + 360 + 280 radiators and an Eisbaer and two Eiswolf 2, how much sense (as of temps gained) does it make to add a Laing or D5 pump to a full loop / a separate loop just for the CPU?

TIA for any help on this!

EDIT: I'm not looking for guarantees, just general pointers regarding what "should usually be the case". Still learning here ^^

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Since I noticed that the outflow from the CPU block is noticeably warmer that the inflow, I reasoned that the cooling of the fluid by the radiator is not the issue. So it should be the speed of the water flow. And seeing that the built-in pumps manage a meager 75l/h while separate pumps easily manage 420l/h (Laing) or even 1500l/h (D5s) I thought this would be my next cause of action. Until I found this thread :)
With the loop it is definitely advisable to install a D5 pump to increase the flow. This is not a guarantee, but 2 DC-LT2 pumps are definitely no longer sufficient for a good cooling performance.

bmartin

Thanks for the hint, that fixed it!

I got myself a VPP755 pump which I attached to an Eisbecher D5 250mm reservoir. The loop alternates between pumps and radiators, with the new pump-reservoir added right before the CPU:
360mm radiator -> pump/reservoir -> CPU -> 280mm radiator -> GPU 1 -> 360mm radiator -> GPU 2
This causes the temperature of the CPU to always stay below 70°C. That's a bit lower than what I got with my air cooler, the Alpenföhn Brocken 3, so I'm happy with that.

In addition, the GPUs, if run at full throttle (255 W each), run at ~70°C and ~60°C once the fluid temperature is "warmed up" from ~28°C idle to ~44°C. That's about 10°C below what they ran at before, without the CPU but also without the 280mm radiator in the loop. So part of that improvement should be the flow speed and another part could be the third radiator which helps when the CPU is not "warming up" the fluid for the GPUs.