Eisbaer Extreme 280 Questions

Burro

Hello,

I am getting ready to install an Eisbaer 280 Extreme (black edition) and have a few questions. i will only be cooling the CPU, A Ryzen 3950X

1. What coolant comes prefilled from the factory? CKC? Tec Protect?

2. Comparing the Alphacool coolants, which one has the longest system life?

3. Can I install an inline coolant sensor at one of the ports on the Eisbaer main unit? (I would like to control fan curves based on coolant temp)

4. What is the recomended coolant change interval for the Eisbaer Extreme 280?

5. What speed setting on the pump is recommended for CPU only and no additional radiators?

Thank you!!

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Burro

To your questions:

1. The Eisbaer Extreme is pre-filled with Alphacool CKC.

2 & 4. I put the 2 questions together. I can't answer now which coolant (CKC or Tec Protect) has a longer shelf life. Some change the water after 5 years. Personally, I clean my PC completely every year. Speak
Disassemble completely, remove dust, disassemble the water circuit, rinse with distilled water and assemble. Refill with CKC. But I will now switch to the Tec Protect.

3. Controlling the fans via the water temperature actually makes little sense, as the water level in the entire circuit after a short time and then hardly changes. I control it via the CPU temperature, I have it at a fixed speed of up to 80 ° C, if my CPU gets hotter, the fans then turn at full speed.

5. So my VPP755 runs on level 2 with 2700rpm and I have a CPU, graphics card and 2 radiators. I find this speed sufficient.

I hope I was able to answer your questions, if you still want to know something, just get in touch.

Best Regards

Burro

Hi @Burro

To your questions:

1. The Eisbaer Extreme is pre-filled with Alphacool CKC.

2 & 4. I put the 2 questions together. I can't answer now which coolant (CKC or Tec Protect) has a longer shelf life. Some change the water after 5 years. Personally, I clean my PC completely every year. Speak
Disassemble completely, remove dust, disassemble the water circuit, rinse with distilled water and assemble. Refill with CKC. But I will now switch to the Tec Protect.

3. Controlling the fans via the water temperature actually makes little sense, as the water level in the entire circuit after a short time and then hardly changes. I control it via the CPU temperature, I have it at a fixed speed of up to 80 ° C, if my CPU gets hotter, the fans then turn at full speed.

5. So my VPP755 runs on level 2 with 2700rpm and I have a CPU, graphics card and 2 radiators. I find this speed sufficient.

I hope I was able to answer your questions, if you still want to know something, just get in touch.

Best Regards
LuckyStricker,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I do have 1 last question: If/when the VPP 755 fails, can a Laing D5 be installed into the unit? ( out of warranty question)

My plan is to combine the Eisbaer unit with an additional 280mm XT45 Radiator. It is Excessive for the cpu only, but I do plan to install a waterblock on my GPU in the future. The Eisbaer while being large, fits in my case (P600S). This allows me to install a thicker front rad with no external pump and reservoir in the way.

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Burro

Of course, that's what we're here for.

The VPP755 pump is identical to most D5 pump tops, so I think that shouldn't be a problem if the case happens.

I'll link you to the right hoses with the quick-release couplings, so that it is easier to convert. Unless you want to convert the system to custom right away.
Alphacool Eisbaer GPX Extension Set (Schlauch und Anschlüsse) | Schläuche | Schläuche | Shop | Alphacool - the cooling company
Alphacool Eisbaer GPX Extension Set 90° (Schlauch und Anschlüsse) | Schläuche | Schläuche | Shop | Alphacool - the cooling company

And for filling I also link the CKC
Wasserkühlung Kühlflüssigkeit Kelvin Catcher Clear | Eiswasser | Kühlflüssigkeiten | Shop | Alphacool - the cooling company
and the Tec Protect water.
Wasserkühlung Kühlflüssigkeit Kelvin Catcher Clear | Eiswasser | Kühlflüssigkeiten | Shop | Alphacool - the cooling company

Best Regards

Tived

@Burro
There is nothing excessive in that setup

I think the advantage with Alphacool is that you can interchange things - add, replace etc.

using two Alphacool Extreme 280 to cool a Threadripper with a full cover cpu block