Eisblock is throttling flow rate

creid2

Hello,
I've seen a couple of mentions about this on both this forum and others, but I am having major problems using an eisblock XPX CPU block. My loop consists of CPU -> Northbridge -> Koolance GPU block #1 -> Koolance GPU block #2 -> reservoir. Now, this is a retro computer (circa 2010) that I am restoring to glory (hopefully) using a Zalman Reserator XT modified with a Laing DDC-3.2 pump. I assembled my loop checked for leaks, shook things to clear air bubbles and fired her up. The flow never exceeded 30L/hr, and over a period of about 2 minutes continuously dropped to zero. I have checked every possible loop combination to identify the culprit. The flow across the pump alone exceeds 120L/hr. Importantly, when the pump is connected to the northbridge block and the two GPU blocks, it is still exceeding 120L/hr. Add the eisblock to the mix and back to a dismal 20-30L/hr that drops until the pump shuts itself off to prevent damage. I do not believe the eisblock XPX should be reducing flow THIS MUCH! It is unusable. I suppose, has ANYONE used this block with success? Do you need a powerwasher to keep the pressure?? Surely something is wrong with my individual block or I am missing something big and obvious. Please send help!! And thank you!

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

when the water flow is so much reduced it is a indication that the cooling fins are clocked and you have to clean them.

creid2

Yeah, next step is to remove the block and inspect I suppose. Is it easy to disassemble for cleaning? Strange that this is the behavior right out of the box though. In this build, the cpu block is the only brand new item!

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

you have kust to remove the copper plate and clean it with distilled water and a soft tooth brush. Did you flush your whole system before mounting it together as recommend from us? Especially in radiators it can happen that there are dust and production residue, which will clog a system, when not cleaned beforehand.