Eiswolf 2 Pump Failure?

Bullant

I purchased an Eiswolf 2 AIO for my Inno3d 3090 iChill X4 in May 2021. I further purchased the active backplate in March 2022 and installed that in the system as well.
I have to admit I've never been totally blown away with the cooling performance, and it has been getting slowly worse over time.
However today I was gaming and my PC ground to a halt as I hit a massive thermal throttle at 95c GPU, 105c hot spot and 100c memory.

Quickly powered everything down and went inspecting.

On closer inspection today I could see dried residue on the top of the cooler (on the backplate)

Then I realised that there was literally no fluid inside the cooler backplate. I pulled everything out of the case, let the card cool down, topped up the radiator and plugged in the pump only to get things moving again. The pump seemed kind of sluggish, there's not a huge amount of movement of cooling fluid, but I did see the air getting pumped out. I also noticed that one of the rubber nipples to plug the unused connecters was dripping very slowly ... at least I found the leak!

Replaced the nipple with a new one, put everything back together and fired up the PC.

Idle temps were a bit high at 52c (25c ambient), but the card has always run a little hot. However fired up DCS again and was able to hit the thermal throttle very easily. I undervolted to 725mv and 1500 MHz and was only just staying under 80 GPU/100 hotspot which is far too close to thermal throttle for my liking and is like 60% max TDP.

So I guess the question is ... does it sound like maybe my pump is dead/on the way out, or is there something else that I should be looking at?

I also noticed when inspecting the system that you can see a rust coloured discolouration inside the cooler where it sits over the GPU, as well as some whitish almost crystal looking stuff around the edges of the fluid channels.

edit: this is GPU-Z at idle @ 45c ambient, with both sides off my case for increased airflow and the radiator fans @ 40%. Putting them up to 100% makes literally no difference. According to my bios the pump is running at 2848 RPM, but I find that a little hard to believe as the coolant is not moving super fast.

edit2: here is a still from the video more clearly showing the green gunk and white particles inside the cooling channels.

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

Thanks for the photos and Videos. If looks like your GPU cooler is clogged and therefore not cooling proberly. This shouldn´t happen after such a short time. Please contact our support info@alphacool.com regarding an RMA.

Bullant

So Alphacool have confirmed this is a warranty issue but Aquatuning want me to send the whole thing back to Germany, which will cost me $$$ and I have no computer until I await the replacement ... so I am considering turning my AIO into a custom loop. Can someone please confirm that this is all that I need and that I can reuse the TPV hoses that I already have?
Replacement terminal block: https://www.au.aquatuning.com/water...eisblock-aurora-terminal-flat-straight-acetal
Combined pump and reservoir: https://www.au.aquatuning.com/water...voir-incl.-alphacool-eispumpe-vpp755-v.3-pump
Also I will obviously need to drain and clean the system before refilling, any idea on the amount of coolant I will need to completely refill including the radiator?

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I have already responded to the pollution issue in your second article. With this degree of pollution, there can of course be a considerable loss of performance.

You say that you were not satisfied with the performance of the AiO from the beginning. For me, the question arises whether your card also has Nvidia's package problem. If so, then the pads do not have sufficient contact to all components & thus the cooler can of course not use its full potential. Are you familiar with this issue or have you already checked it?

Bullant

I have already responded to the pollution issue in your second article. With this degree of pollution, there can of course be a considerable loss of performance.

You say that you were not satisfied with the performance of the AiO from the beginning. For me, the question arises whether your card also has Nvidia's package problem. If so, then the pads do not have sufficient contact to all components & thus the cooler can of course not use its full potential. Are you familiar with this issue or have you already checked it?
Hi Thomas, I am familiar with the problem, I am not certain if it is contributing to my problem. Alphacool directed me to Aquatuning regarding the warranty claim on the card, would you be able to help me if the pads are the wrong size, or would I be out of luck there as well as I purchased from your reseller Aquatuning in Australia?

I guess my concern is that I have to pull the cooler apart to check the pads and I don't know if that is going to destroy the pads, and then I also have the problem of then waiting for replacements, which leaves me without a working computer for even longer.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

if your GPU is affected with the package problem, we would send you thicker or thinner thermal pads for free. But we would need photos from the imprints of the thermal pads to check it.

Bullant

For anyone following along at home. I decided not to spend $150 sending the cooler back to Germany, and instead I spent the day carefully pulling it apart (completely apart) and giving everything a really good clean. The green stuff was sticky and sludgy, I don't think it was a reaction with the copper, it was strange stuff. I then reassembled, flushed everything out with distilled water and refilled with coolant. Alphacool has a $105 minimum shipping charge so I did no feel like spending $105 to get $20 worth of Alphacool fluid, so I instead bought some Clear Thermaltek fluid locally, 2L for $50.

When pulling apart, it was clear that the thermal pads on the front side were not making contact with the memory, there was literally no imprint at all. I replaced them with some 1.5mm Thermalright 12.8 w/mk pads and put everything back together.

I could have saved $50 and used to 800mL or so of Alphacool fluid I had left, it only took about 500mL to refill the system.

After powering on I am seeing idle temps of 35c GPU, 45c Hotspot and 40c Memory. These use to be 50/70/55!
Under full load playing DCS or MSFS202 I never even came close to thermal throttling, maxing out at around 65/75/55

So well worth the effort in the end. If you are suffering from high memory temps (and it also affects the GPU), I strongly recommend checking that your memory pads are actually making contact.