Eiswolf GPX240 rattling?

Romours

Hi,

I bought an EISWOLF GPX240 PRO for my AORUS 2080ti xtreme edition on summer 2020 and it worked very well in my previous setup until now.
I changed my setup for a Meshlicious ITX case a few days ago and had to place my GPU in vertical mount, with radiator front. It all worked pretty well at the beginning but i started hearing what it seems to be rattling noise. I noticed an increase of temperatures, it jumped from 61° at full charge to almost 73° now.
I understand that your advice is to mount the radiator above the pump and in my case the highest point is the pump.
If i manage to mount the radiator with the two connections at the top, then the highest point will no longer be the pump, and it could avoid bubbles stagnation.

Do you think that this operation plus a refill could solve my problem?

Here is the video!

Romours

The sound on the video doesn’t last that much, after 30 seconds it disapears but the temp is stable at more than 70 when at full charge

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
There is clearly air coming up to the pump. If the radiator is below the pump, you will always get this problem, which is why we clearly advise against such an installation. This way, the problem can never be avoided.
Filling it up again will not help. As long as the pump is at the highest point, the same situation will always occur. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. But it can definitely not be avoided in this installation position. This will eventually destroy the pump.

Romours

And do you think this can explain a more than 10°C jump?

If i rotate the radiator and make it fit this way, do you think it could solve this? With the two connections on top?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Of course, if there is air in the pump, the cooling capacity will drop dramatically. This is because the water no longer flows properly over the radiator bottom or circulates properly through the entire circuit. This can be even worse than just the 10°.
If you can position the radiator higher than the pump, you will get rid of the problem as long as the pump has not been damaged yet. But if you change the position, I would first shake the radiator and the pump properly during operation and let the pump run continuously and shake it again and again. It is not so easy to get the air completely out of the pump area. It takes a bit of patience. If very stubborn micro-bubbles are caught, it also helps to kink the hoses a little to block the water flow completely for a short time. This does not hurt.
Ideally, you should do all this without stressing the GPU. It is best to do this when the system is removed.

Romours

So i would need to remove it from the case in order to shake it efficiently, keep the pump connected to the power supply as you do in this video?
And if i shake it enough and don't hear air anymore after reinstall, do you think a refill will be needed?

Romours

In progress! It seems like everything fits great but how do i know when no more air is stuck in the pump? The noise decreases and disappears after around 10secs, does it mean its done?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
When the sounds stop coming, it's done. However, it may appear again briefly from time to time. Complete venting can only be guaranteed after approx. 24 hours of continuous operation.