LT240 Pump sounds like a mechanical hard drive -RMA or normal?

Little_Kitty

It's only recently arrived from Amazon, who currently delay any non-vital shipments for weeks. Noise is continuous. I showed on the video that the fans are running, you can't hear them over it. The noise level and sound is almost exactly the same as a mechanical hard drive aggressively seeking, so noticeable from outside the case, not just up close as in the video.

I've tried rolling / tilting / shaking to get it to stop, nothing seems to make any difference unfortunately. I tried to bleed any air bubbles following the guides on YouTube and added a couple of drops of deionised water, but again it made no difference even after a couple of bubbles migrated away from the radiator. So, should I RMA this?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi there, sorry for my late response but we are having internet connection problems past two days. Yes mate you need to RMA this product. It is the axis of the pump wjich makes that noise. Have you purchased the product directly from us?

Little_Kitty

It was an Amazon purchase. I have until 31 May to send it back to Amazon, but wanted to be sure I wasn't wasting everyone's time. Amazon taking weeks to deliver anything to Poland makes me want to avoid RMA unless I really need to. I would have ordered it direct, but the postage costs on the site make Amazon (they fulfill from within Poland) much cheaper.

Little_Kitty

Depending on what Amazon say, is it possible to service this unit with a replacement part? Their returns page is only offering credit at present, not replacement, and the stock cooler suuuuuccckkkss!

Cue full custom water loop :unsure:

Little_Kitty

Amazon are showing out of stock again, so they can't even send me a replacement and the non-LT version isn't going to fit in an NCase M1 :cry:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hmm i am thinking what we can do. We could send you a replacement part (the pump/block unit i mean) but the product is out of stock.
Estimated delivery date is the 18.05.2020. Or you need to send us the system back so we can repair it. This are the only options i can offer you for the moment really.

Little_Kitty

And now it's behaving itself, even though nothing changed :unsure: Will have to see if it stays this way.
With the fans on silent mode, the PC is pleasingly quiet

Little_Kitty

Grr, back now... I wonder if it's some tiny trapped bubble of air which is causing this. My efforts to move any air to the radiator / bleed the pump were already quite extreme though :(

Little_Kitty

I completely removed it and went even more extreme with bubble removal. I think two bubbles came out and were replaced by a couple of drops of de-ionised water. The sound is gone again for now, fingers crossed that's the end of it.

I suspect the mounting position in the NCase M1 is part of the problem - the radiator is side mounted and roughly at the same height as the block, making it harder for any bubbles to remain in the radiator.

Little_Kitty

Layout with panels etc. removed so you can see as much as possible. Sorry it's a bit dark.
The noise came back this afternoon, although it's a little quieter than before.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
This is the typical sound of air in the system. Please watch the videos.

If the sound does not disappear please do contact us again. Thank you.

Little_Kitty

You came to the same conclusion I did, and I did watch the videos and others in English (22 years since I learnt German). I suspect it would be the same regardless of which AIO I bought, so I'm not holding you guys to account here, indeed having the ability to bleed air from the system and refill it means that I stand a chance. If I really can't fix it I'll likely buy the external pump / res combo that fits the NCase and turn it into a custom loop. Thanks for your help :)

Little_Kitty

I'm British, but I live near Warsaw, Poland. My mum taught German and French at school, so I can understand the videos, but I watch English ones to be sure I've understood the details.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
What about if you buy the pump/combo unit and have the same problem again (can happen any time)? I mean i dont want to scare you but do you want to buy each time a new unit if you get problems? I think it is better if you try to fix it by your self. If you can`t manage it then we can look for another possibilty.

Little_Kitty

Sorry, I was intentionally avoiding mentioning any competitor product. I was considering and then buying a DDC pump, water block, tubing, connector, fluid. I suspect the radiator being at the same height as the pump in my case means that, without a reservoir, even one tiny bubble in the system will give me occasional noise. The noise isn't continuous any more and is a lot quieter when it is present. I'm sure it's not a product fault, but a use case issue. See

Last edited:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
With this option you can of course change the whole loop. Do not forget to disconnect the pump from the LT unit. This way it is much easier to bleed the air out or refill the system. Hmm where do i know Iceman from ? :unsure: