Max cooling loop length for a single pump?

al_ac

Hi,

Whilst I know that a maximum length could be computed for every configuration of pump & tubing given the max head and flow rates (and various assumptions), I wondered if anyone had some 'rules-of-thumb' for maximum loop length of some common single pump systems based on e.g. the Alphacool DC-LT2, Alphacool DDC 310 and Eheim 1046 (with let's say 16/10 piping).

Context: I am intending to make use of a water-cooling loop to move the heat from some computers to a more convenient location for a radiator bank, which is likely to be 3-4m away in tubing length (so total loop length through a machine approaching 9m).

Thanks in advance.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member

al_ac

Hi,

at least a DDC 18W (i would use even two of them)

Hmm, that's good to know (and a bit more pump than I was thinking would be necessary here!)

I also note that you are suggesting a dual-pump top, which I suppose suggests a loop structured like (1):
Code:
X -> {Reservoir -> Dual pump -> Waterblocks} -> 'Long' external send line -> {Radiator bank} -> 'Long' external return line -> X

rather than two single-pump tops, which would have suggested a loop like (2):
Code:
X -> {Reservoir -> Pump -> Waterblocks } -> 'Long' external send line -> {Pump -> Radiator bank} -> 'Long' external return line -> X
(along with suitable use of check valves to avoid backflow etc.)

Do you agree that (1) is a better structure than (2)?

Thanks.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi, as i mentioned above i would go with dual pump combo and i think the first loop is the better (this is my opinion) choise.