Need advice on number of radiators

Shinigamius

Hello, everyone!

I have a question. I want to build a custom loop to cool 13900k and 4090. And I want it to work very quietly, so I want to run fans at 500-600 rpm at all times. This means I want to cool up to 900W of heat (theoretical max when overclocking). Primarily for gaming in 4k 144hz.

My current case is Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2. It officially supports the following rads:
1x 360mm on the bottom of the case (but the airflow is somewhat limited due to poorly designed bottom holes, they cover some fan area)
1x 360mm at the top
1x 480mm or 1x 420mm at the front

I used the following link to do my calculations (the simple rule):

According to my calculations, it should just barely cover 800W, but may not be enough to cool 900W efficiently, plus there is no cooling reserve (during summer ambient temps can exceed 35c, so I would love to have some cooling reserve).

I do not want to ramp up the fans above 500 rpm as my primary goal is to make things quiet.
I can try to install an extra 360mm rad on the side of the case (480 will likely not fit), but it is not officially supported (not with a front rad in place). Besides, even if it fits, it will be difficult to install and may have other issues.

Alternatively, I'm considering upgrading the case to Cooler Master HAF 700 with the following rads:
2*400mm rad (200mm*2), 1*420mm rad and 1*480mm rad.
This radiator capacity should be enough to cool my desired hardware even at low RPM speeds.

Are there any concerns about my choices? Is there a way to optimize things, outside of push-pull configs? Those work best with higher speeds, so I'd rather keep things simple (with slim rads and single row of fans).

Also, the GPU I plan to get is Zotac 4090 Amp Airo. The GPU block is the following:
Are there any known issues or things I should look out for? I mainly picked Zotac because it has no stickers on screws and Zotac said on social media that they do not void warranty for disassembling.
If there are concerns about Zotac, I can get Gigabyte Gaming OC instead. Sadly, it has anti-tamper sticker on a screw, but Gigabyte assured me they will consider providing the warranty even with the sticker broken (as long as it's not my fault).

Most hardware I plan to get is made by Alphacool, so I thought this is a good place to ask questions about cooling capacity (exact yes/no answer is not expected, just general advice on the topic and possible issues).

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

the cooling capacity in your phanteks case could be to low, when you want to run the fans with such low RPM. In this case the Cooler Master case would be better or alternative, if you want, you can also go with an big external radiator like our Nova or SuperNova radiator. They can handle such heat even with low RPM fans and you would transfer the heat outside of your case, which will also improve the temperatures in your case.

Regarding the GPU´s I can´t say which one you should get. If you are unsure, I would recommend to check some reviews. Currently are now many manufacturer more tolerante, if customers are switching the coolers.

Shinigamius

Hi,

the cooling capacity in your phanteks case could be to low, when you want to run the fans with such low RPM. In this case the Cooler Master case would be better or alternative, if you want, you can also go with an big external radiator like our Nova or SuperNova radiator. They can handle such heat even with low RPM fans and you would transfer the heat outside of your case, which will also improve the temperatures in your case.

Regarding the GPU´s I can´t say which one you should get. If you are unsure, I would recommend to check some reviews. Currently are now many manufacturer more tolerante, if customers are switching the coolers.
Thanks! I've considered external rads, but my main issue is they take up as much space as a full case, so they're hard to hide from sight on top of PC case, so I thought containing the whole system inside would be easier.

I think I'll go with a larger case after all.