PNY RTX 2080TI XLR8 x Eiswolf 2, VRM not covered

Sevendg6

Hey,

A bit of thermal throttling on my RTX 2080Ti happened after the installation of the eiswolf2, I'm doing some investigations.

After a week of usage I discovered 2 things :

1)Alphacool indicates that you have to tighten a bit more the screws 24hrs after installation (thank you guys for this kind of tips :) )

Thing is : I had to really really, I mean really going strong on the screws to have the gpu going below 80°.
This sorted out, I was enjoying 65° with fans at 60% speed, 54° at max speed

2) Despite good GPU temperatures, GDDR still going going up to 90°, screws are at max.
After 96° system crashes and the card goes into safe mode.
(Waiting for Gelid pads (15W/mK) to arrive and check if it makes any differences.)

Question here :
As you can see on the pictures,

• On stock cooler there are pads covering every VRMs and mosfets
  • On Eiswolf2 waterblocks thermal pads are provided for some VRMs but not all

@Aphacool : Aren't there supposed to by any pads for VRMs ?
If it is, what thickness do you recommand for which components ?

(Yes I removed the pads protections before applying to the waterblock 😂)

2080TI stock cooler.jpg
2080TI eiswolf 2.jpg

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
VRMs are covered. See picture below. The other are coils ect. that do not need cooling. Air cooler manufacturers only put pads on them to stabilize the cooler.
The gelid pads will not help you if they have the same thickness. Please take a picture of the pad impressions after mounting the cooler. There may be height differences in the components that are outside the tolerances. Then you might need thicker pads if they don't fit properly.

2080TI stock cooler.jpg

Sevendg6

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer Eddy you rock my world ! :love:

I don't have a picture yet of the GDDR at the moment.
what I observed yesterday was that the VRM pads impression was quite deeper than the GDDR ones.

Despite being careful the VRM ones tore down and some have stuck on every chip, where it wasn't the case on the GDDR modules.
As you can see below on the only horrible picture I have with me .2080TI eiswolf 3.jpg

Sevendg6

Quick update : received the gelids 1mm, installed them after 3 stress test, the set up seems to be stable so far.

Could you confirm which thicknesses of pads are provided with the Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO - 240 mm RTX 2080/2080Ti FE ?

I wasn't able to find the information in the documentation on the website.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Quick update : received the gelids 1mm, installed them after 3 stress test, the set up seems to be stable so far.

Could you confirm which thicknesses of pads are provided with the Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO - 240 mm RTX 2080/2080Ti FE ?

I wasn't able to find the information in the documentation on the website.
Hi, sure! Enclosed you will find a link to the manual of the cooler. The required pads are listed there.