Purchase advice for 2x3090 rtx3090 gigabyte turbo

jstefanis

Hello newbie here.
I have 2xrtx3090 gigabyte 24gb turbo cards and I'm considering about a water-cooling solution.
My question is what I need for watercooling each one in an AIO solution, and also if its better to create a custom configuration
for better cooling performance. What I'm looking for as a solution includes the cooling of the memory chips on the backside because gddr6x memory chips reach
really high temperatures . Can I combine an active backplate solution?
Kind regards, Ioannis

Marc-eting

Marc the Marc-eting Guy
Staff member
Hi Ioannis,
in your case I would recommend a costum watercooling. This way you are much more modular. You can also install the active backplates without any problems.

jstefanis

So, what should be needed for this custom set? I have no idea. Apart from that, Isn't 2x (Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO - 360mm RTX 3080/3090 Gaming/Eagle with Backplate + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora GPX-N Acryl Active Backplate 3080/3090 Gaming/Eagle) ok?
Is AIO set's pump insufficient for driving the extra active backplate?

Marc-eting

Marc the Marc-eting Guy
Staff member
If you were to take an AIO, you would have to cut the tubing to install a distributor for the active backplate. This will void the warranty. Also, with two AIOs, you have a lot of tubing in your system, which could interfere with airflow. (You could also upgrade the CPU)
I would therefore recommend a costum watercooling.

For this you need:

Radiator
Fan
Reservoir (with pump)
Cooling fluid
Tubes
Fittings (you can find the compatibility to the tubes in our store)
GPU Cooler
In your case Active Backplate (a distributor for that)

The rule of thumb for cooling is per 100tdp = 100mm cooling surface (120mm fan)
In your case that would be 2x rtx3090 that is 2x 350W, so 2x 360 radiator if it fits.
Alternatively 1x 360 and 1x 240 radiator. But that would be the minimum.

Rule of thumb for fittings always times two per tube.

I've put together a shopping cart as an example. How exactly you want to put the costum loop together you decide. But basically you can orient yourself to the shopping cart.

And here how to integrate the active backplate:

jstefanis

Thank you for your feedback. Considering airflow interference, I'm thinking about buying the p90 core pg case which is spacious and
fully open. So I think airflow is not a problem,
My question is if I choose a hybrid solution for each gpu (combination of AIO and active backplate), does the embedded pump
suffice for cooling both sides?
Another question is if its possible to connect two AIO's in serial mode and not parallel. Will it benefit cooling of both gpu's or it is
something stupid? Do two pumps in the same circuit interfere causing countereffects?
Also is it possible to add a third 360mm radiator if I connect both AIOS togeher? Is it a smart decision? Or I should return to the custom loop
solution?
And finally is there any links for useful step by step instructions introducing water cooling to a newbie?

Marc-eting

Marc the Marc-eting Guy
Staff member
I think a custom water cooler would be easier and clearer.
If you don't use hardtubes, it's not as hard as you think. Do not worry :)
To be honest I am a bit confused with all the AIOs 😅

Look here: https://forum.alphacool.com/threads...mplementation-how-to-by-basic-tutorials.2709/
Click the link in this post, it explains how it works with a custom loop. There are also many YouTube videos about it.

Take your time and watch the tutorials. 2 or 3 AIOs are not much cheaper in the end than a custom loop.

Marc ✌️

jstefanis

I've just connected the various parts for testing. You can see in the attached photos.
From what you're proposing I understand that it's better to setup a custom solution because
it will be more cost worthy and safe in long term.
So considering this I'm thinking about a solution with a large radiator ( Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 1260mm Radiator )
with tpv tubes for the twin gpus (cpu temps are fine). What do you propose as a shopping list for this configuration?
20230303_183647_resized.png20230303_183641_resized.png

jstefanis

Hello again. I finally ordered a set of two Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3090/3080 Gaming/Eagle kits along with a set of active backplates (Artikelnr.: 13042). Along with these I also ordered an Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 1260mm SuperNova Radiator with a set of four Noctua NF-A20 200mm PWM fans.
Next step:
I'm thinking about ordering an Alphacool Core Distro Plate 360 with VPP pump (Article no.: 15479).
So my question is what else do I need in the case of completing the setup with Alphacool hose AlphaTube TPV 12,7/7,6 or the Alphacool hose AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID). What are the benefits of each? Does Alphatube TPV takes different connectors?
Which other components do I need?
And finally I want to ask if It's better to connect each Aurora acryl kit with the active backplate and then connecting it to the distro box in series (aurora acryl ->active backplate -> distroplate vs aurora acryl -> distro plate , active backplate -> distro plate) by using TPV hoses?
Is it better than connecting it in parallel with Alphacool MCX 2x distributor with 1m 5/3mm hose (Article no.: 13041)?