Purchase advice for 6900XT with external radiation

Michel

Hi,

I'm looking to go a little bit extreme with my watercooling idea. For the moment I only focus on the AMD 6900XT reference card and at a later stadium (summer) I will add the CPU to it. The CPU is now already water cooled through Corsair AiO.

The idea is to use this combination:
- Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 1080mm Nova Radiator
- Alphacool NexXxoS Nova 1080 mm fan housing - Black
- Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal reservoir incl. 1x Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 V.3
- Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-A Radeon RX 6800/6800XT/6900XT Reference with Backplate

Where the Eisbecher D5 is going to be mounted on the Radiator fan housing.
The distance between the PC and the radiator will be around 2 to 2,5 meter. So I need enough tubing for it.

1641915332773.png

This is my shopping list:
1​
1013350​
Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal reservoir incl. 1x Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 V.3
1​
1019925​
Alphacool ES flow and temperature indicator "HighFlow" with RPM-Signal
1​
1012592​
Alphacool Eiszapfen temperature sensor Plug G1/4 - Deep Black
1​
1018087​
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 1080mm Nova Radiator
1​
1020417​
Alphacool Core ATX 24-Pin PSU Jumper
1​
1020774​
Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-A Radeon RX 6800/6800XT/6900XT Reference with Backplate
2​
1012804​
Alphacool Eiszapfen HF quick release connector kit G3/8 inner thread with reducing nipple G1/4 - deep black
4​
1011159​
Alphacool Eiszapfen 13/10mm compression fitting 90° rotatable G1/4 - deep black
2​
1011157​
Alphacool Eiszapfen 13/10mm compression fitting G1/4 - deep black sixpack
9​
1020781​
Alphacool Rise Aurora 120 mm fan (120x120x25mm)
1​
1020195​
Alphacool NexXxoS Nova 1080 mm fan housing - Black
3​
1019548​
Alphacool tubing AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID) - Ultra Clear 3m (9,8ft) Retailbox

I do have a couple of questions :)
1. Can the Eisbecher D5 incl Eispump be mounted on the radiator house?
2. Is one pump enough to cover the ±5 meters of tubing?
3. Do I need any screw plugs for in/outlets like the Alphacool Eiszapfen screw plug G1/4 - deep black?
4. Do I need to buy screws to mount the fans on the radiator house?
5. If you look at layout picture do I miss any fittings or are they wrong in the picture?
6. Should I place the flow and temperature indicator anywhere else?

I already did something with watercooling but that was based on AiO, so I could use some guidance in this process ;)

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I have one quick question in advance! Why do you want to do it the same way?

Thomas_S

Staff member
Sorry, I meant in this way! ;-) No radiator in the case? Everything is/should only be cooled externally with the Nova Radiator?

Michel

Sorry, I meant in this way! ;-) No radiator in the case? Everything is/should only be cooled externally with the Nova Radiator?
Yes that's correct. At the end (late summer) everything should be cooled external with the Nova radiator.
For now the CPU is cooled with an AiO Corsair H115i, but that will be replaced in the summer with a new CPU and then also connected to the Nova radiator. The H115i is placed inside the case at the top.

Thomas_S

Staff member
Ok, thanks for the information! Next question on the way to clarification: Why or for what do you use the quick-release couplings? They are outside the case, right?

Michel

Ok, thanks for the information! Next question on the way to clarification: Why or for what do you use the quick-release couplings? They are outside the case, right?
Yes they are outside the case and as close as possible with the case.
I thought this will be easy for maintenance to disconnect the radiator from the loop and for assembling it all together. And for the fact that I'm not sure how the place it all in the room where it should be.
I'm thinking of putting the radiator for the window (which can be opened) or creating some sort of shelf on the wall to put it there. So I think the PC and/or radiator will be placed in different locations in the room throughout the year till I find the best place and I thought the quick-release could make this a little bit easier :)

Michel

Some extra information. I play mostly sim racing and when you do endurance races it is nice to have the fans as far as possible, so you don't hear them.
For the sim rig (tripple screen and seat, which is large) I'm still moving it around in the room to find the best spot. The same thing will be for the PC and external radiator ;)

Thomas_S

Staff member
Ah ok, thanks for the explanation! But quick connectors also make every system a bit more restrictive. In terms of the length of the hose, this can be an important aspect. If you could do without it, it would definitely be an advantage. Now it's time to answer your general questions ;-)

I do have a couple of questions :)
1. Can the Eisbecher D5 incl Eispump be mounted on the radiator house?
2. Is one pump enough to cover the ±5 meters of tubing?
-> It is impossible on the right-hand side. The hoses for the inlet and outlet of the radiator limit the space so much that there will be no room for a 250mm expansion tank. However, you could make your own holes on the left side of the enclosure for mounting the expansion tank. The pump is very powerful. But to be on the safe side, you could also plan a second pump, then you would have enough resources for later integration.

3. Do I need any screw plugs for in/outlets like the Alphacool Eiszapfen screw plug G1/4 - deep black?
-> Sufficient screw plugs are always included in the scope of delivery.

4. Do I need to buy screws to mount the fans on the radiator house?
-> No, the fans are mounted on the radiator. The screws for this are included in the scope of delivery of the radiator.However, you also need the following cover for mounting the fans on the radiator: Alphacool Nova 1080 fan grill 9x120mm - black

5. If you look at layout picture do I miss any fittings or are they wrong in the picture?
-> Nothing is missing for the implementation of your plan. How do you handle the power supply, aRGB lighting etc. on the Nova radiator/fan/pump at 2.5m distance?

6. Should I place the flow and temperature indicator anywhere else?
-> Definitely so close to the MB that you can reach the relevant ports!

Your shopping list looks good for now.

Michel

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation! But quick connectors also make every system a bit more restrictive. In terms of the length of the hose, this can be an important aspect. If you could do without it, it would definitely be an advantage.
It's all about cooling and the best flow so I will take your advice and remove them :)
It is impossible on the right-hand side. The hoses for the inlet and outlet of the radiator limit the space so much that there will be no room for a 250mm expansion tank. However, you could make your own holes on the left side of the enclosure for mounting the expansion tank.
The initial idea was to put the pump as close to the radiator as can be. But now I think why not put it in the PC edit: not enough room in PC.
The enclosure is maybe to nice looking to cut holes in it and put a large expansion tank on the side of it.
What do you think where the pump should be best placed? As close to the radiator or in the PC where it is close to the GPU?

However, you also need the following cover for mounting the fans on the radiator: Alphacool Nova 1080 fan grill 9x120mm - black
When I read the description of the article then it says then it is needed if you want an push/pull config.
The picture provided with the XT45 1080mm Nova already shows a cover for mounting the fans. Are you sure I need the "extra" cover?

How do you handle the power supply, aRGB lighting etc. on the Nova radiator/fan/pump at 2.5m distance?
Lightning and fans will be connected to an Octo and Farbwerk 360 (didn't wanted to include that in the first post, because it is from an other company ;)). I have yet no idea if all aRGB's will work, but that will be something to find out and play with.
As for fan connectors and other connectors I have most of them available as spare connector parts and will create them when needed.
Putting the pump in the PC will terminate the power supply question.

Never been a fan of RGB, but I did came up with a nice idea about the RGB on the radiator. Trying to see if I can program it that it will turn Blue, Yellow, White and Black flags when the game is outputting the state of ingame flags.

Thank you for the answers I was looking for :)

Last edited:

Michel

Hmmm...The DS 250mm pump will not fit in the PC.
Think I'm going to create a nice shelf on the wall for the radiator and screw the pump on the shelf next to the radiator. Play with the RGB lights and see if it looks nice.

Thomas_S

Staff member
Sounds good! If you like, you can upload some pictures here when you're done ;-)

Thomas_S

Staff member
The initial idea was to put the pump as close to the radiator as can be. But now I think why not put it in the PC edit: not enough room in PC.
The enclosure is maybe to nice looking to cut holes in it and put a large expansion tank on the side of it.
What do you think where the pump should be best placed? As close to the radiator or in the PC where it is close to the GPU?
-> It doesn't really matter. I would put them where the cable management causes the least amount of work.
When I read the description of the article then it says then it is needed if you want an push/pull config.
The picture provided with the XT45 1080mm Nova already shows a cover for mounting the fans. Are you sure I need the "extra" cover?
-> That's right, you're right! It is already included in the scope of delivery of the radiator! So it doesn't have to be ordered separately! ;-)
Never been a fan of RGB, but I did came up with a nice idea about the RGB on the radiator. Trying to see if I can program it that it will turn Blue, Yellow, White and Black flags when the game is outputting the state of ingame flags.
-> ... if you have a result, you can upload some pictures here. I would be interested in that!