Purchasing/Swapping Eiswolf pump setup for Asus 3080/3090 Turbo

D00dBr4h

G'day from Aus,

I find myself in an odd position where an Eiswolf would fit my system perfectly (Alienware r10.) The measurements are such it would fit my factory GPU bracing and everything. I can even fit the rad and fans into the bottom of the case with minor modifications to effectively kill the noise of this jet engine in an Australian summer.

Thing is, I bought mine open box, so it came with an Asus 3080 Turbo 10GB V2. I emailed sales, and while Alphacool makes a block for it, they do not intend to offer an AIO.

Does anyone know if I can purchase the pump for an Eiswolf GPX separately? Or alternatively, is it physically possible to purchase the alphacool waterblock for my Asus 3080 Turbo, separately buy the AIO, and swap the Eiswolf pump top over to it?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We do not offer the Eiswolf 2 pump unit separately. Theoretically, you could take an Eiswolf 2 and build a cooler to fit your card and everything. But seriously, it would be easier to build a small DIY loop.

D00dBr4h

We do not offer the Eiswolf 2 pump unit separately. Theoretically, you could take an Eiswolf 2 and build a cooler to fit your card and everything. But seriously, it would be easier to build a small DIY loop.
Thanks mate. Issue is actually space. Got this Alienware R10 for a song open box after some large company ripped out the factory GPU without even booting it during the shortage and then sold it on to a clearance house that put a (beefier) GPU into it once Aussie suppliers could actually get their hands on them.

I’ve got right angle 8-pin adapters on the GPU as it is, and with the tight clearances I don’t know if I’d be able to do a GPU+CPU loop without major case modding.

From what I’ve mocked up already, the least amount of modification looks like a 240mm AIO in the floor of the case if I can sort out the clearance issues with my RAID card.

The other easy option would be to fab up a bracket to hang a 240mm pump/res/rad off the back of the case. If I did that, I could run a super short dedicated GPU loop with quick disconnects in the open PCI slots for power and fluid.

On that note, do y’all offer a 240mm pump/res/rad combo separately from the fully external Eiswand or that semi AIO CPU setup y’all sell? I guess I could buy a Barrow DARIDP -30 240mm but I’ve heard it’s a nightmare to bleed.

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
I took a look at the Alienware R10's interior online. Sorry to say this, but the case is a total nightmare in terms of internal construction. I have seldom seen such a cluttered interior in a case. I can't understand what Alienware was thinking. But Alienware has never covered itself with glory when it comes to the case's interior.

I would not try to build anything in it. I doubt that even an Eiswolf 2 will fit in terms of dimensions if you already need a 90° connection for the power supply. An Eiswolf 2 is clearly wider. How much space do you have from the PCB to the side panel?

D00dBr4h

I took a look at the Alienware R10's interior online. Sorry to say this, but the case is a total nightmare in terms of internal construction. I have seldom seen such a cluttered interior in a case. I can't understand what Alienware was thinking. But Alienware has never covered itself with glory when it comes to the case's interior.

I would not try to build anything in it. I doubt that even an Eiswolf 2 will fit in terms of dimensions if you already need a 90° connection for the power supply. An Eiswolf 2 is clearly wider. How much space do you have from the PCB to the side panel?
The right angle adapters aren’t facing the side panel since this card has the 8-pin power inputs on the rear. There’s 40mm from the PCB to the side panel, 12mm to the 120mm front intake fan shroud and 18mm to the intake fan blades.

Machine didn’t actually come with these right angle adapters but the first time I booted it I heard the sound of playing cards in a child’s bicycle. After pulling everything apart I discovered cause: the paper tags on the 8-GPU cables were getting clipped by the intake fan. The clearing house I got this from was so insistent on getting this specific GPU into the machine that they forced the GPU’s power cables slightly into the OE fan shroud. The cables were bent at an extreme angle, and nobody thought to cut off the tags to prevent them getting caught in the fan.

Upside to the current layout is that intake fan does literally nothing but go straight into the blower card’s intake so it stays cool enough for gaming. However, the downside is I can’t hit maximum GPU boost clocks in a machine I bought to run scientific software.

Thankfully, once I swapped the factory low profile CPU air cooler (that was built for an Intel chip not a Ryzen) for the Dell factory Asetek AIO they’ve been using for over a decade (I remember these units from when I modded Alienware machines for Dell sponsored events like Quakecon) the CPU finally hit maximum boost clocks —but that’s a testament to the sheer efficiency of the OEM-only AMD 5900 non-x.

Anyways, I’ve pulled the factory 3.5 spinner and tapped a hole for a second Dell OE 120mm intake fan into that space (the BIOS does a fan check) so I’m comfortable with the CPU cooling. Under the circumstances, it seems the best bet will be an external rad/pump/res combo mounted to the case exterior and an Alphawolf Eisblock Asus 3080/3090 turbo waterblock.

That raises the questions of (a) just how large the terminal area on the block is and (b) how much longer that the PCB is the full coverage block on the tail end of the card?

Last edited: