Questions on upgrading loop with Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora and Alphacool Eiswolf 2

delsol805

Hello,

I currently have an Eisbaer Aurora 240 and Alphacool Eiswolf 2 on my PC' custom loop (CPU, GPU, 240mm and a 360mm radiator). I'm considering adding a reservior with pump or just a reservior to the loop.

Before I buy I just have a few questions:
  • For existing loop, is it ok to turn on only 1 pump (i.e. Eisbaer or Eiswolf)? Will the water flow damage the pump that's not on (because I can't remove the pump from the Eisbaer or Eiswolf)?
  • If I add a reservior without pump(mainly for aesthetic purpose and easier to add a drain port), will the 2 pumps be enough, say for a 200ml reservior?
  • If I add a reservior with pump, should I only use this pump or all 3 pumps?
Any info is appreciated!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
When you turn off a pump, it runs freely. It does not break down when another pump provides the water flow.
But in your setup it makes no sense to operate only one of the two pumps, this is rather a disadvantage because the flow will be extremely slow due to the restriction and the cooling capacity is reduced.

An additional expansion tank is not a problem. You can do it.

If you use a balancing tank with a powerful pump like a DDC or VPP/D5, you can choose to run the other pumps of the AIOs or not. I would run them to reduce flow resistance. But that is a matter of taste.

delsol805

When you turn off a pump, it runs freely. It does not break down when another pump provides the water flow.
But in your setup it makes no sense to operate only one of the two pumps, this is rather a disadvantage because the flow will be extremely slow due to the restriction and the cooling capacity is reduced.

An additional expansion tank is not a problem. You can do it.

If you use a balancing tank with a powerful pump like a DDC or VPP/D5, you can choose to run the other pumps of the AIOs or not. I would run them to reduce flow resistance. But that is a matter of taste.
Very clear explanation, thank you for your help Eddy!