Ryzen 7900X + Eisbaer Aurora 360 LT High Idle Temps?

AbbaSou

Hello all. I built a new system earlier in the year with an R9 7900x in a Corsair 4000D. The AIO is mounted in the front position with the tubes at the top. The three fans are drawing air into the case, and there is one exhaust fan at the top and one at the back of the case. PBO is enabled, but my normal usage does not put a consistent heavy load on the CPU, so I rarely have issues with thermal throttling (since the Ryzen 7xxx series is designed to hit 95c eventually). I do, however, have rather high idle temps.

Ambient temp in my office right now is 24c, and the system is idling at around 58-60c with 3-4% CPU usage. Almost any load will immediately drive the temps up into the 70s and under a sustained load will steadily climb into the 80s and then 90s. Again, that's a rare occurrence with my usage. I replaced the thermal paste once already and attempted to re-mount the block, with no changes to this behavior.

Is this expected behavior with this CPU/AIO combo? Are there steps I can take to troubleshoot or identify any potential issues?

Thanks.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

1. did you check if you have removed the protection foil.
2. DId you make sure, that the pump is always running with 12V or 100% PWM.
3. Did you check the pressure and the imprint on your CPU.

Temperatures under full load of over 90°C are normal for this CPU. Even when gaming the CPU can reach up to 80°C already.

AbbaSou

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions,
1. Yes, of course, but always worth asking. :)
2. My pump was actually set to run on a curve and was idling at about 40%. I've now manually set it to 100%. Initially, maybe 1-2c temperature change. I then set all the fans to 100%, which brought idle temps down to around 50-52c, so a few degrees improvement. Obviously, constantly running fans at 100% is not great. I set these back to their previous curve of idling around 32% (~1000-1050 rpm) at 51-52c. Temps are slowly rising back up to the mid-50s.
3. Not since my last repaste. I think I'm out of paste, so I will need to get some before removing the block to check mounting pressure. On a related note to that, do you have any tips or tricks to achieve the best mount? Any particular order of tightening the screws? Do they just go down until they stop?

I'm aware that Ryzen 7000 series run hot under load, and I'm not terribly concerned about that. Mostly just wondering if idling in the 55c range was normal for this CPU/cooler combo. Thanks!