Updating a GPU

Lolakiaz

Hi there! Recently I've upgraded my CPU from FX-8350 to a Ryzen 5 2600 but still using my GTX 1060 6GB.
What GPU you think will be the sweet spot to match it with?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Depends on your monitor resolution. But if you like to use the GPU over a longer time, something like the new RX 5700/5700XT or RTX 2060/2070. For the newest games with max details and 4k.... a 2080Ti is sometimes too slow.

Maybe you can get a 1080/1080Ti for a lower price. Not the newest GPUs, but they are fast. I don`t think that Raytracing will be a big thing in games for the next 1-2 years. Sure, you will have a few games, but will you play those games? And is it really important for you to see raytracing in a game? That's a point you have to decide for yourself.

Lolakiaz

Depends on your monitor resolution. But if you like to use the GPU over a longer time, something like the new RX 5700/5700XT or RTX 2060/2070. For the newest games with max details and 4k.... a 2080Ti is sometimes too slow.

Maybe you can get a 1080/1080Ti for a lower price. Not the newest GPUs, but they are fast. I don`t think that Raytracing will be a big thing in games for the next 1-2 years. Sure, you will have a few games, but will you play those games? And is it really important for you to see raytracing in a game? That's a point you have to decide for yourself.

Yeah I've just brought a Full HD 144HZ monitor as well that's why I'm looking for that upgrade. Not into 2k or 4k perspectively. Will go most likely with a RX 5700 XT and most likely then upgrade my CPU to 3600 which will increase my FPS even more than i'm currently running at. Thanks for your help ;)

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ok, that makes sense to me. Think you will have a lot of fun with this combination. And for Full HD with 144 Hz, the RX 5700XT is fast enough to get more than 144 FPS in the most games. Because with less than 144 FPS, a 144 Hz display makes no sense. As i know, maybe i am wrong with that.

Nikolay

may be it help - i7-5775c CPU @4.2 with rtx2080 here. fps is kinda equal to fps in any tests published online for 1440p ultra with 9900k+2080.
144Hz but g-sync capable monitor and see no difference at all accross 50-150 fps.

love 2070super from current nvidia gpu line

Last edited: