Usage for quick connects with outer threads?

woodnleg

Bit of a beginner question, but how exactly do the quick connects with outer thread work?

I get that you screw one side into a rad or other component, but then you can't really screw the other side into another component. Or is the idea that you combine a OT set with a normal set to always combine one OT with one normal connector?

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @woodnleg

I hope that I have understood you correctly now.
I'll try to explain it with a picture of one of the extension sets.

1615749166902.png

On the right of the picture you can see the fittings that are screwed into a cooler, radiator or pump / expansion tank.
To the left of this are the quick-release couplings, which are used to connect the extension set to each other in this case.
If you only build your system with these sets, let's say a pump / expansion tank, a radiator and a CPU cooler.
Then you need 3 of these sets to connect all components.

The advantage is that if you want to change the CPU cooler you only have to open these couplings and you can dismantle it at any time without having to empty the entire circuit.
Or you would like to install a GPU cooler now, then you only need such a set that you attach to the cooler. Then you just have to open a clutch in the system and insert the GPU cooler in between.

Who you still have questions or I didn't answer them correctly. Get in touch again.
Best Regards

woodnleg

Thanks for the reply!

That makes perfect sense, but it looks like you can also get quick fittings with thread (basically like your picture, but without the tube in between), like the one below. You can screw one end into a rad / tank, but what do you screw the other end into? Or would the other end then need an additional fitting?
4_AG_-_Chrome_1020152_01.jpg

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @woodnleg

Ah, you mean these. If you want to use this you need a sleeve to attach a fitting. I link one.

Or

Personally, I wouldn't screw this directly into a cooler or radiator. Since, depending on the hose used, it can act like a lever and in the worst case it could tear the thread or lead to breaks in acrylic, which leads to leaks.
Of course, that doesn't have to be the case, I haven't had any direct experience with these.

I would rather use this if I want to establish a connection with an external radiator via the slot cover or the back of the housing.
Like this one

Best Regards