What Alphacool products for AMD 7950x + Nvidia 4090?

pdrayton

I'm building a new rig with an AMD R9 7950x, and am planning to later swap in a Nvidia 4090 (ideally the FE) when they become available.

The idea of starting with an Alphacool CPU AIO and expanding it to a water block on the GPU later, seems really interesting.

What would you guys recommend to purchase?

My default was an Eisbar 360 or 420 for just the CPU. 420 seems overkill for just a CPU and not fit in case but I'm not sure yet until I get the case and can measure the actual clearance. If it does fit, presumably more radiator is better long-term if I will also be dumping heat from a GPU.

Would I later be just shopping for a matching GPU water block and more water piping, or would it be necessary to add another radiator, maybe another pump, etc.?

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
If you want to add a cooler for the FE to the Eisbaer AiO later, I would definitely plan with another radiator, given the waste heat the new cards produce. Another pump (preferably with a reservoir) would also be advisable. You would have two more components in the system! The DC-LT2 pump should reach its limits in terms of flow rate.

Nagah

You are walking the same path that I do, right now.

At the moment, I use an Eisbär Aurora 360 HPE for my 12900KF. And yes, you can deafeat the Eisbär with "no power limit" (aka 4095 W) and prime95.
But I dont think that this is because of the heat capacity of the Eisbär but more a problem of the Intel Die being so small that the heat cannot be dissipated fast enough. So, I doubt that a 420 will help in that regard.

A single 360 or 420 Radiator will certainly not be enough for your R9 7950X together with a 4090FE.

My solution (and suggestion) for this scenario:
Eisbär Aurora 360 HPE for the CPU and add an Eiswolf 360 AIO for the 4090FE. And of course link them for maximum heat capacity for the new GPU.

This should be quiet and have LOADs of capacity to be cool and very silent.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
My solution (and suggestion) for this scenario:
Eisbär Aurora 360 HPE for the CPU and add an Eiswolf 360 AIO for the 4090FE. And of course link them for maximum heat capacity for the new GPU.
Super solution! Nothing to add to that! ;-)