1st Custom Water Loop, Have Questions!

Jp_508

I know there are many more advanced builders on this forum & this is my first custom water loop build, so here I come with hand in hand looking for direction & some answers to my questions.

I've always used either air coolers or Corsair AIO's in my builds. Since this is my first build not sure if I'll go with hard tubing or soft, it'll depend on the space allotted once I start putting it together, leaning towards the soft tubing at the moment. I'm doing an open air case in the Streacom Da6XL. Have already purchased some components, case, motherboard, ram, cpu, gpu, M.2's for storage, & psu. I've also purchased Alphacool components, radiator, water block, Rise Flat D5 with VPP755 Pump. Next will be connections & tubing, not planning to do color coolant, going clear. Here are some questions I have:

(1) In doing my research concerning Alphacool Chrome Eiszaphen Connectors & Soft Tubing, I have questions concerning compatibility. The port connections on all components are G 1/4", pretty straight forward. I want to go with Alphacool Chrome Eiszaphen type connectors. The build I'm following & want to somewhat replicate said they used Chrome Eiszaphen 12mm connectors. Some Alphacool connectors on Amazon don't always say 12mm & at times differ although they look similar, same for soft tubing with I.D. & O.D. I want to go with all Alphacool & not jump ship to another vendor due to the possibility of sizing issues. To me Alphacool fitting were designed to work best with their own products, same for EK or anyone else. The connectors & tubing I'm not understanding to well & need help. What size tubing is proper for these? Are all the Alphacool connections interchangeable & compatible with each other for soft tubing? The last thing I need for my first build are leaks using incompatible connections & tubing.

(2) Once the loop is completed it's leak test time before adding coolant. How much pressure do I insert into the loop for proper testing? And for how long?

(3) Radiator question: On the Alphacool Radiators what is the thread size for fan mounting?

(4) I will not be able to use a regular stock screw for mounting the fan due to a fan shroud cover I am installing. Any vendors you would recommend for purchasing screws in different sizes besides trying to find at the local hardware store? I live in a remote area without many places to choose from.

(5) Does anyone know if the Alphacool Chrome Apex Stealth fans come in 140mm? I only see them in 120mm?

(6) Alphacool Rise Flat D5 VPP755 Pump: How is this powered up? Is it at a constant speed plugged into the PSU via molex connector?

Thanks for reading, any help & information would be appreciated. TIA - Jp

astaaa

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jp,
1) We only offer the 12mm connections for hardtubes which are only available in limited quantities. However, if you absolutely want to use our products, I would recommend using our standard 13mm connections.
2) you can check your loop with 0,8 - 1 bar
3) M3 thread
4) We can only recommend the hardware store
5) Yes, the fans will be released, but I can't say exactly when. But we estimate that it will be this year.
6) VPP755 is always supplied with 12V via the power supply unit. The pump can be controlled via the 4-PIN PWM connector.

I hope I have been able to answer all your questions.

Jp_508

Hi Jp,
1) We only offer the 12mm connections for hardtubes which are only available in limited quantities. However, if you absolutely want to use our products, I would recommend using our standard 13mm connections.
2) you can check your loop with 0,8 - 1 bar
3) M3 thread
4) We can only recommend the hardware store
5) Yes, the fans will be released, but I can't say exactly when. But we estimate that it will be this year.
6) VPP755 is always supplied with 12V via the power supply unit. The pump can be controlled via the 4-PIN PWM connector.

I hope I have been able to answer all your questions.
Thanks for your reply. Yes you answered most of my questions, but on question (1) You said 12mm & 13mm connections for hardline tubing. I am leaning towards soft tubing for ease of use & since its my first attempt. Which type connector would I use for soft tubing, the Chrome Eiszaphen type connector, is it the same 12mm & 13mm? Guess it also brings to mind what size soft tubing to use, what is the measurement of the I.O & O.D. that would be the correct fit for the connector I am choosing?

On question (6) What type of 12V connector is used to connect to the PSU?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
There are HardTube connections and normal hose connections. You can only ever use one or the other.
With HardTubes, i.e. acrylic, PETG ect. tubes, the outer diameter is important. For example, there are such tubes with an outer diameter of 12, 13, 14, 16 and sometimes also 19 mm. The inner diameter is not really relevant here.

There are always two dimensions for hose connections. E.g. 13/10 or 16/10mm. The first number stands for the outer diameter, the second number for the inner diameter. Accordingly, you must also buy the appropriate connection that supports these sizes.

But you cannot use a HardTube connection for hoses and a hose connection for HardTubes.

Jp_508

There are HardTube connections and normal hose connections. You can only ever use one or the other.
With HardTubes, i.e. acrylic, PETG ect. tubes, the outer diameter is important. For example, there are such tubes with an outer diameter of 12, 13, 14, 16 and sometimes also 19 mm. The inner diameter is not really relevant here.

There are always two dimensions for hose connections. E.g. 13/10 or 16/10mm. The first number stands for the outer diameter, the second number for the inner diameter. Accordingly, you must also buy the appropriate connection that supports these sizes.

But you cannot use a HardTube connection for hoses and a hose connection for HardTubes.
Thanks for responding. What type of 12V connector is used to connect the pump to the PSU? And the 2 types of dimensions for soft tubing, is that the difference between thin walled & thick walled tubing?

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
The VPP755 is using a normal 4 Pin Molex Connector for the power supply. THe dimension on a tube are always the outer and inner diameter as example 13/10mm is 13mm outer and 10mm inner diameter